Roofing Drip Edges - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes

Old 05-17-2017, 12:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 22

Roofing Drip Edges

Sorry, I'm new here and I'm about to install arquitectural shingles on my roof. My big dilema is the type of drip edge I should use. I used an L shape 4X3.5 inches with a small raised edge on the top part. I didn't like that aspect but the modified torch roll layer covered it. My question is... should I use the same raised flange on my hip roof? I'm afraid that little raised flange would offer resistance to the free fall of the water. I like to have a 4 inch top to cover more off the edge, and this is the only type of drip edge that is around in this area.
Thanks in advance! I wish I could upload pictures but is not posible in this site, so I could explain myself better.
blessedhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2017, 01:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,466

Re: Roofing Drip Edges

If I understand drip edge correctly the ( flange ) edge kick out does 2 things. It somewhat strengthens the sheet metal when handling/installing and provides a drip edge that's away from from the fascia. I space it slightly from the fascia so air circulation behind it is improved.
Attached Images

SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2017, 02:13 PM   #3

Thanks for your answer. But this kind when you lay it it doesn't kick outwards, it raises up on a 45` degree angle, then is folded down 3.5 inches to cover the fascia _________/I
I
I
I
Something like this. I tried to input a picture but I couldn't. I can't do anything until I'm sure this is the right kind. I already put it on my flat roof, I didn't like it but I did it anyways, but on my hip roof I have to many doubts. I never done this before and neither lowes or Home depot can't give a straight answer, they just tell me that is up to me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2017, 02:14 PM   #4

I tried to line up the I's straight down but when I posted the reply it just kicked them to the left
Old 05-17-2017, 02:18 PM   #5

Old 05-17-2017, 02:18 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 708

I think you have it up side down.
The 45 deg lip should run down the fascia.

*Edit*

Yes, like your picture shows.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:20 PM   #7

This is the kind I'm talking about. I found a picture on the internet
Old 05-17-2017, 02:23 PM   #8

I tried it every way, if I flip it, the A side will kick up into my roof, It would have been a good idea to straighten the bottom of the A side and the flip it, but I don't have a machine that would do that without leaving a mark
Old 05-17-2017, 02:25 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,066

I think you've got it upside down. The drip edge is flat on the roof though some have a few ridges (like 1/16th") on top.
NotyeruncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:27 PM   #10

I have it like the picture shows but if you look at the little drawing it shows the A side which the drip, then the B side, that is the lip I'm talking about. I don't know if that is the right one to install. Is too late for my flat roof, but I don't want to continue on my hip roof with so many doubts
Old 05-17-2017, 02:28 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,066

late on the reply, but the A side is vertical and the C side is on the roof. That little bump B won't really stick up as much as you think on a pitched roof. It's there to keep the drip edge from kinking when you put it on.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
NotyeruncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotyeruncleBob View Post
I think you've got it upside down. The drip edge is flat on the roof though some have a few ridges (like 1/16th") on top.
The ones I have have like 5/16 rise, that is why I don't like it, but I thought it was ok for a flat roof but it didn't because that lip is higher than my modified roll thickness. So, the water is gonna run through that lip all the way down to the lower edge
Old 05-17-2017, 02:44 PM   #13
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,050

I'm confused.... what does a hip or gable roof have to do with it...?????
Old 05-17-2017, 03:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotyeruncleBob View Post
late on the reply, but the A side is vertical and the C side is on the roof. That little bump B won't really stick up as much as you think on a pitched roof. It's there to keep the drip edge from kinking when you put it on.
Yes, that is how I got it. So, it is the proper drip edge or should I bring them back to the store and get the traditional T shape? Like I said, the B side rises easily 1-4 of an inch high, that is my concern. I will install gutters later, that is the reason why I picked them and because the 4 inch lap width or C side.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:25 PM   #15

Well, a flat roof, the water runs a lot slower, this kind of drip edge, does not help to much to avoid resistance, so there may be residues of water standing at the very edge.
On a hip roof, the angle of blockage is less cause the pitch of the roof, I feel like I made a mistake on my flat roof, and I don't want continue if i got the wrong kind. To me, the 4 inch lap side is very important, the problem is that the local stores do not carry the 4 inch T shape drip edges.
I think you can see the difference between the two. This the tradicional
Sponsored Links
Advertisement