Replacing Portions Of Bottom Plate - Remodeling - Page 2 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 05-30-2019, 08:09 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 68
Rewards Points: 134
Default

Re: Replacing portions of bottom plate


Quote:
Originally Posted by huesmann View Post
Prop up your (green) horizontal bar with some (purple) vertical ones (number depending how big a span you need to support).

If you find that the (red) studs sag a little, use a bottle jack under an additional vertical member to raise your horizontal bar in the (blue) location you're working at.
OK, so horizontal 2x4 screwed into the vertical wall studs near the top, propped up by 2x4 studs that are directly underneath the horizontal stud.

If I understand that correctly, my question is how would I remove and replace the bottom plate? I could remove the bottom plate in small sections (who cares, it's getting trashed), but seems preferable to install new bottom plate in longest lengths that are feasible (less cutting and fewer concrete anchors to install).
jbrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-30-2019, 08:15 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 68
Rewards Points: 134
Default

Re: Replacing portions of bottom plate


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrah View Post
The exterior wall parallel to the ceiling joists is ~10ft (in this room) and a section of the bottom plate on the far end of that wall has some damage (though not as bad as the corner where the two exterior walls meet). I'm thinking of replacing the entire length of bottom plate for both exterior walls.

So I screw a 2x4 horizontally across the vertical studs on the side wall - at the very top of these vertical studs? How would I lift this while still having access to remove and replace the bottom plate?

Sorry for all the questions; first time doing something like this.

For a gable wall do the timber up high lay a 2x4 on on the floor perpendicular to it and cut the stud long and hammer it in, You only need to lift that wall in three places. Some times you need a bigger hammer.


If you are going to be tight for space just tack the new plate to the wall out out of the way.
I'm a bit confused. There's no gable involved here - just a rectangular wall. Your diagram shows 2x4s supporting joists - I understand how to support the wall that runs perpendicular to the joists. I'm trying to understand how to effectively support the exterior wall that runs parallel to the ceiling joists (while still having room to remove the old bottom plate and install a new bottom plate).
jbrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-30-2019, 08:22 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 68
Rewards Points: 134
Default

Re: Replacing portions of bottom plate


I was taking a closer look at the bottom plates that need replacing and noticed that while the interior wall bottom plate appears to simply be a 2x4, both exterior walls have a strip (looks to be ~3/4" thick) that runs under a 2x4. What purpose does this serve?


Seems to me that if it didn't have any purpose, the builder would have just used a 2x4 and then cut the vertical studs 3/4" longer.

In this pic, you are looking at corner where an exterior wall (this one runs parallel to the ceiling joists) meets an interior wall. Looks like the bottom strip of the bottom plate is ~3/4" thick and since it's closer to the ground, the termites got to it before they got to the 2x4 that sits on it (in the sections where the termites were feasting).
jbrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-30-2019, 08:43 PM   #19
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 23,064
Rewards Points: 14,016
Default

Re: Replacing portions of bottom plate


Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrah View Post
I'm a bit confused. There's no gable involved here - just a rectangular wall. Your diagram shows 2x4s supporting joists - I understand how to support the wall that runs perpendicular to the joists. I'm trying to understand how to effectively support the exterior wall that runs parallel to the ceiling joists (while still having room to remove the old bottom plate and install a new bottom plate).

To lift the wall with the joists you want a top and bottom plate with studs a little long and hammer then in place top lift the wall.



The wall with out the joist above Screw a 2x4 to the wall high. tack the new plate lower on the wall so you have it inside where you need it.

in three places place a 2x4 on the floor perpendicular to the wall. about a foot away from the wall. measure the distance from the floor 2x4 to the high wall 2x4 cut a stud 1/2" to long for that. put it under the high 2x4 and on the floor 2x4 and hammer it in until it takes the weight of the wall.
Usually 3 of those will do the job.

You new plate can be done in pieces.
__________________
Do not use flat bottom gables with scissor trusses.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
jbrah (05-31-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 08:38 AM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 722
Rewards Points: 1,347
Default

Re: Replacing portions of bottom plate


Actually, if the length of wall/ceiling that needs to be supported is less than 8', I would be tempted to just get a couple 4x4s and a floor jack, and set up a T-bar system that could be jacked up to the level I need, set a couple ft away from the wall so there's room to work.
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:26 PM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 68
Rewards Points: 134
Default

Re: Replacing portions of bottom plate


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
The wall with out the joist above Screw a 2x4 to the wall high. tack the new plate lower on the wall so you have it inside where you need it.
Clever! I was wondering how to maneuver the new plate inside the wall bracing. Placing it inside to begin with is an elegant solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
in three places place a 2x4 on the floor perpendicular to the wall. about a foot away from the wall. measure the distance from the floor 2x4 to the high wall 2x4 cut a stud 1/2" to long for that. put it under the high 2x4 and on the floor 2x4 and hammer it in until it takes the weight of the wall.
Usually 3 of those will do the job.

You new plate can be done in pieces.
Like this? Picture is of one of the bracings and I'd have 3-4 of these.



Seems the floor 2x4s have to be pressed up against the opposite wall so that they can't slide away as you hammer the lower part of the diagonal 2x4 toward the wall being lifted.

Or am I still missing something?
jbrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:33 PM   #22
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 23,064
Rewards Points: 14,016
Default

Re: Replacing portions of bottom plate


Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrah View Post
Clever! I was wondering how to maneuver the new plate inside the wall bracing. Placing it inside to begin with is an elegant solution.

Like this? Picture is of one of the bracings and I'd have 3-4 of these.



Seems the floor 2x4s have to be pressed up against the opposite wall so that they can't slide away as you hammer the lower part of the diagonal 2x4 toward the wall being lifted.

Or am I still missing something?
No you have it about right. Yes you likely have to block back to another wall if the leaning 2x4 is a little longer than that you can put a couple toes on a flatter angle the more you hit the nails the higher you go and the nails hold it there.
__________________
Do not use flat bottom gables with scissor trusses.

Last edited by Nealtw; 05-31-2019 at 09:36 PM.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
jbrah (05-31-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 09:43 PM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 68
Rewards Points: 134
Default

Re: Replacing portions of bottom plate


Any thoughts on what the extra piece of bottom plate on the exterior walls is for? Described below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrah View Post
I was taking a closer look at the bottom plates that need replacing and noticed that while the interior wall bottom plate appears to simply be a 2x4, both exterior walls have a strip (looks to be ~3/4" thick) that runs under a 2x4. What purpose does this serve?


Seems to me that if it didn't have any purpose, the builder would have just used a 2x4 and then cut the vertical studs 3/4" longer.

In this pic, you are looking at corner where an exterior wall (this one runs parallel to the ceiling joists) meets an interior wall. Looks like the bottom strip of the bottom plate is ~3/4" thick and since it's closer to the ground, the termites got to it before they got to the 2x4 that sits on it (in the sections where the termites were feasting).
jbrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 10:38 PM   #24
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 23,064
Rewards Points: 14,016
Default

Re: Replacing portions of bottom plate


Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrah View Post
Any thoughts on what the extra piece of bottom plate on the exterior walls is for? Described below:
The studs were to short??? How long are the studs in both walls.
__________________
Do not use flat bottom gables with scissor trusses.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 07:27 AM   #25
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 722
Rewards Points: 1,347
Default

Re: Replacing portions of bottom plate


Are you sure that's wood and not a raised concrete rim?
Nealtw likes this.
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:27 AM   #26
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 68
Rewards Points: 134
Default

Re: Replacing portions of bottom plate


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
The studs were to short??? How long are the studs in both walls.
Studs on exterior walls are ~84-1/2". Studs on interior wall are just over 87". In addition to the extra bottom plate, the exterior walls also have a doubled up top plate.

In this pic, the wall on the right is an exterior wall, and the wall on the left is an interior wall.
jbrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:29 AM   #27
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 68
Rewards Points: 134
Default

Re: Replacing portions of bottom plate


Quote:
Originally Posted by huesmann View Post
Are you sure that's wood and not a raised concrete rim?
Yep, it's wood.

Here's my screwdriver sticking into the most rotted section:


And here's another section, where I just scratched off the outer layer, revealing wood fibers:


Seems strange they would install this extra piece of wood instead of merely cutting the studs a little longer. So I'm thinking there was a reason for this.
jbrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 10:21 AM   #28
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 23,064
Rewards Points: 14,016
Default

Re: Replacing portions of bottom plate


Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrah View Post
Studs on exterior walls are ~84-1/2". Studs on interior wall are just over 87". In addition to the extra bottom plate, the exterior walls also have a doubled up top plate.

In this pic, the wall on the right is an exterior wall, and the wall on the left is an interior wall.
pre cut stud is 92 1/4 in Canada and 92 5/8 in the US
All walls should have a double top plate. the cavity above the room next door should fire stopped from that wall, blocking under the cavity in the wall would be the ticket. Just below the ceiling 2x4s.
__________________
Do not use flat bottom gables with scissor trusses.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 05:59 PM   #29
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 68
Rewards Points: 134
Default

Re: Replacing portions of bottom plate


Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrah View Post
Yep, it's wood.

Here's my screwdriver sticking into the most rotted section:


And here's another section, where I just scratched off the outer layer, revealing wood fibers:


Seems strange they would install this extra piece of wood instead of merely cutting the studs a little longer. So I'm thinking there was a reason for this.
A little bit more color on this. I dug away the rotted wood in this corner, and I think the 3/4" strip of floor plate below the 2x4 floor plate might actually be a 2x4 floor plate with half of its thickness below the level of the room, if that makes sense. So a double bottom plate on the exterior walls. If you blow up this pic, you can hopefully see what I'm talking about:


Quote:
Originally Posted by huesmann View Post
Are you sure that's wood and not a raised concrete rim?
So it seems to be the opposite. The rim sits below the concrete floor in the room.

Have you guys seen this kind of construction before?

Last edited by jbrah; 06-01-2019 at 06:02 PM.
jbrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 07:13 PM   #30
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 23,064
Rewards Points: 14,016
Default

Re: Replacing portions of bottom plate


Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrah View Post
A little bit more color on this. I dug away the rotted wood in this corner, and I think the 3/4" strip of floor plate below the 2x4 floor plate might actually be a 2x4 floor plate with half of its thickness below the level of the room, if that makes sense. So a double bottom plate on the exterior walls. If you blow up this pic, you can hopefully see what I'm talking about:


So it seems to be the opposite. The rim sits below the concrete floor in the room.

Have you guys seen this kind of construction before?
Is the floor concrete or wood? I have seen both look like this.
__________________
Do not use flat bottom gables with scissor trusses.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Assistance in assembling temporary wall - replacing top plate. MKMaster Building & Construction 5 07-18-2016 02:07 PM
1910 Beach Bungalows: Replacing all joists & subfloor on imperfect sill plate alheim Building & Construction 7 04-14-2015 07:43 AM
Sill plate, sole plate, bottom plate -- please "un"-confuse me. Dave88LX Building & Construction 25 12-04-2013 07:30 AM
Replacing sill plate - foundation wall repair NWChris Building & Construction 0 09-14-2013 12:05 PM
Bottom plate and notched studs miamicuse Carpentry 7 06-04-2013 08:27 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts