Replace/Remodel Fireplace Mantel - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-03-2015, 09:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 102

Replace/Remodel Fireplace Mantel

I'm remodeling my family room and part of doing so includes renovating the fireplace mantel. The old brick mantel stretched across the entire wall. It was falling apart and outdated looking.

The end result I am looking for is something like this:

...but with the Emperador Splitface mosaic stone tile in between the fireplace and mantel. I used this in my kitchen for a backsplash and it looks awesome. The fireplace is in the room next to the kitchen so it would be nice to have them match.

Unfortunately due to the height of the area I want to lay the mosaic tile, I'll have to custom order a mantel since the "standard" size is only 42" tall. I could build a base to the same height as the lower slab that was running across the old mantel and place the "standard" size mantel on top of that, but I figure the time and money that would go into that is better spent on just ordering the taller mantel.

Now that I have torn down the old mantel I can see bare brick where I want to lay the mosaic tile. My plan is to use thinset mortar to bond the smooth side of a sheet of durock to the bare brick, and make that flush with the existing drywall, and then use thinset on the other rough side of the durock to lay the mosaic tile. I have heard that using a spray bottle to wet the brick before applying the thinset will help create a better bond, as laying it over dry brick could suck out the moisture. Is there anything wrong with this plan?
Attached Thumbnails
Replace/Remodel Fireplace Mantel-20150501_161252.jpg   Replace/Remodel Fireplace Mantel-backsplash.jpg   Replace/Remodel Fireplace Mantel-20150503_130311-copy.jpg   Replace/Remodel Fireplace Mantel-20150503_211006.jpg  
MetalMan8008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2015, 11:38 AM   #2

Just bought new fireplace doors but I need to figure out a way to install them without the lintel bar and the other concrete slabs that form the "frame" of the firebox opening. The old mantel had concrete slab running just underneath the firebox opening that supported the two vertical slabs on the sides of the firebox opening and it appears that these fireplace doors are meant to be installed with these in place. As you can see I have eliminated these and am going for a look that is flush with the wall, and doesn't protrude out. What a pain. I can rig up a bracket that will be drilled into the brick on the upper portion of the inside of the firebox, but no way to secure the sides or bottom. Has anyone else installed their fireplace doors like I am wanting to do? Any tips?

I have attached a picture showing the slabs around the opening of the firebox that I removed. They probably have some special name but I don't know what to call them. Are those slab around the firebox necessary for any reason?

And I would still like some confirmation as to my planned setup with the durock and mosaic tile installation. I have laid the exact same mosaic tile in my kitchen already, but this was on drywall, where I just used thinset. I have never used durock before, and I would imagine thinset would work just fine for attaching the tile, but I am unsure of the bond between the brick and durock. Especially so close to the fireplace. I would be laying durock and tiling right up to the fireplace doors, if I can ever get them installed, so the tile and durock/thinset would be an inch or two from the firebox opening. The thinset and durock being so close to the opening of the firebox is what I am questioning. Is my planned approach correct/safe?
Attached Thumbnails
Replace/Remodel Fireplace Mantel-firepalce.jpg  

Last edited by MetalMan8008; 05-07-2015 at 11:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2015, 07:51 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,438

Sorry I don't have any similar experience.

The thinset bag may have some info or customer service number.

As for the tile, johnbridge.com may have specific info, as well as you can try baking/broiling a sample of tiles installed on a piece of durock. I'd be interested myself for heating/cooling contractions on the tiles themselves and the thinset bond.

Searching for "tiling around a fireplace" brings up some photos of mosaic tiles around a fireplace. So may be we may be over-thinking it.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2015, 01:09 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMan8008 View Post
Just bought new fireplace doors but I need to figure out a way to install them without the lintel bar and the other concrete slabs that form the "frame" of the firebox opening. The old mantel had concrete slab running just underneath the firebox opening that supported the two vertical slabs on the sides of the firebox opening and it appears that these fireplace doors are meant to be installed with these in place. As you can see I have eliminated these and am going for a look that is flush with the wall, and doesn't protrude out. What a pain. I can rig up a bracket that will be drilled into the brick on the upper portion of the inside of the firebox, but no way to secure the sides or bottom. Has anyone else installed their fireplace doors like I am wanting to do? Any tips?

I have attached a picture showing the slabs around the opening of the firebox that I removed. They probably have some special name but I don't know what to call them. Are those slab around the firebox necessary for any reason?

And I would still like some confirmation as to my planned setup with the durock and mosaic tile installation. I have laid the exact same mosaic tile in my kitchen already, but this was on drywall, where I just used thinset. I have never used durock before, and I would imagine thinset would work just fine for attaching the tile, but I am unsure of the bond between the brick and durock. Especially so close to the fireplace. I would be laying durock and tiling right up to the fireplace doors, if I can ever get them installed, so the tile and durock/thinset would be an inch or two from the firebox opening. The thinset and durock being so close to the opening of the firebox is what I am questioning. Is my planned approach correct/safe?
I'd probably goo with a Type S mason mix for the durock over brick, then use the thinset for the mosaic. Thinset may work for the durock to brick too. If you wanna have a little extra attachment, you can mark out the location of the mortar joints on the walls and once you apply the durock pre drill some holes and attach some concrete anchors to help fasten it securely while the thinset or mortar sets.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Quikrete-...specifications

Last edited by jayb614; 05-09-2015 at 01:19 AM.
jayb614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:07 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies. Some of the areas where I will be attaching the durock are recessed in more than an inch compared to surrounding brick, so I'll probably add some 1" slats behind the durock to fill the gaps and provide a surface to anchor the durock to, as well as taking up some of the extra space back there. Looks like today is the day, better get to it. Thanks guys.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:32 PM   #6

Finished the mantel and surround. Used construction adhesive to attach one of the panels of durock, but it it was messy, expensive and needed to use a lot of the tube to fill the low areas. Plus, the darn tube made a mess in the caulk gun. Hate that stuff. Decided to just use thinset to mount the rest of the durock to the brick. That worked a lot easier. I ended up using some small pieces of 1" wood to fill the biggest gaps, and some pieces wooden shims of various thicknesses for the other gaps.

Got a mantel custom made locally and installed. Then did the mosaic stone tile surround using premixed thinset.

Anyways, here's the finished product:
Attached Thumbnails
Replace/Remodel Fireplace Mantel-fireplace-done.jpg  

Last edited by MetalMan8008; 05-18-2015 at 04:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement