Replace Or Reface Kitchen? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2014, 10:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 415

Replace or Reface kitchen?

For the most part I am keeping the same layout. I can replace my kitchen cabinets with ikea for about ~$3600, not including counter top. My current cabinets date back to 1979 and have oak fronts and a hardwood frame. The sides and back appear to have thin plywood that I could easily punch my fist through if i wanted to. I am looking for a place that sells DIY cabinet and drawer fronts and verniers. I hear it takes some patience and time to reface and that hanging cabinets can be quicker. I am going to be installing a new counter top in either case. One thing I do notice is that the ikea cabinets have a lot of functions on them, though are made of MDF. They also have doors that cover the frame so you get more usable space in your drawers, etc.

So I guess does anyone know of a good cheap place that sells stuff to reface cabinets?

Thanks in advance,

Solarity
Solaritu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2014, 10:49 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 82

+1 vote for re-facing.
I don't know of any spots for cheap materials, but am a big believer in "if it aint broke, don't fix it". I haven't done my kitchen yet (gonna get 5 more years out of it), but I trust the plywood more than MDF. If you're worried about structural for a new and heavier countertop, reinforce with plywood and noone but you will be the wiser. Just my two cents.
Not sure where you are, but around here we have Re-store, and their selection of discontinued fronts are incredibly cheap, if you really want to save a buck.
grendel5269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2014, 11:20 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 17,890

Hard to know without a picture of what you have now.
Google "cabinet doors" hundreds of sites come up.
Another way is to replace the door and drawer fronts and just reface the boxes. A whole lot less work.
Advertisement