Removing A Wall/Fixing Ceiling Crack - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2017, 07:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Removing a Wall/Fixing Ceiling Crack

Good morning,

I'm looking for some advice as my husband and I look to remodel our kitchen and dining room. The previous homeowners removed part of a wall. They left part of the wall (as seen in the picture). Would it be okay to remove that? Also, they removed another wall and it appears there is now a crack that they attempted to hide. The crack doesn't look good so I'm wondering how we should go about fixing it? Any help you can offer would be very beneficial. Thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Removing a Wall/Fixing Ceiling Crack-img_2082.jpg   Removing a Wall/Fixing Ceiling Crack-img_2087.jpg   Removing a Wall/Fixing Ceiling Crack-img_2083.jpg  
newhomeowner17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2017, 08:18 AM   #2
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,404

Re: Removing a Wall/Fixing Ceiling Crack

It's hard to say whether or not the part that protrudes down from the ceiling is part of a header or not. Normally a header would come down further for that large of an opening but it could be embedded in the ceiling. What is above that wall? The quickest, easiest fix would be to just caulk the crack.

The correct way to repair the crack in the 2nd pic would be to remove any loose tape, tape the crack and feather out the repair with additional coats of joint compound. You'd then need to match the texture with a round brush. Again it might be simpler to just caulk the crack [wipe off any excess caulk] and paint.
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2017, 08:26 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

Thanks for your help. Is the crack part of a bigger structural problem? It appears they attempted to take down a wall and as a result, there is now a large crack. Is it safe to just caulk it or do I need to make sure there's not a deeper issue?
newhomeowner17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2017, 01:08 PM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,706

We need to know what is above this. A bearing wall is carrying weight from above and need special attention. If you have an attic up there a quick look would tell you whether you have trusses or rafters. If you have trusses and a fairly straight forward roof line there is a good chance there is not much to worry about,
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement