Removing A Wall: Beam Or No? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By XSleeper

Old 09-26-2017, 09:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 24
Question

removing a wall: beam or no?

My husband and I are remodeling our kitchen/living room area. We are taking out the wall and joining the two rooms. Initially we planned on replacing the wall with a beam either under the trusses or inserted flush into cut trusses, but now we are not quite sure we even need a beam.
I have attached pictures to illustrate the two beam placement options we were considering.

Our neighbors have the same house as we do, except mirrored and the wall in question was never there. They were built at the same time by the builder ('85). So I went up in their attic yesterday to check out the structure and to look for a long lost but much loved screw driver my neighbor believes he left up there several years ago. No luck on the screw driver!
I expected to find a beam across the span where the wall is in our home. I was surprised to find that there wasn't one. It seems it may not be a load bearing wall after all, but I wanted to get some opinions. I really don't want to risk my house falling over.
thanks!
I appreciate any advice.

Attached Thumbnails
removing a wall: beam or no?-attic.jpg   removing a wall: beam or no?-wall-drawing1.jpg   removing a wall: beam or no?-2.jpg   removing a wall: beam or no?-1.jpg  
Attached Images

ESwierenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2017, 10:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,265

Re: removing a wall: beam or no?

Usually when you have fink trusses, the only load bearing walls are the exterior walls.
PappyO likes this.
XSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2017, 10:29 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,874

No need for anything and you never cut a truss.
If you had a truss or girder that was putting weight on the wall it would be easy to see and as your trusses are all the same you have nothing to worry about.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2017, 10:57 PM   #4

+1... never cut a truss.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:22 AM   #5

Thank you both for your speedy replies.
This is great news.
As far as cutting a truss I thought it could be acceptable in some situations if proper precautions are taken. If we had needed to go this route, this tutorial shows how we would have gone about it. https://www.familyhandyman.com/walls...beam/view-all/ (the alternative method at the end)

I am very relieved to get your opinions.
Thanks again
Old 09-27-2017, 01:11 PM   #6

Your link shows how to let a beam into a "ceiling joist" which is completely different from a "truss"... although most laypeople (like you) don't know the difference.

You have fink style trusses which are engineered to act as a unit. (The roof, the ceiling, the web bracing, and the tie plates) And you never cut or alter a truss without the mfg's written permission or a structural engineer who can sign off on an alteration.

If you have ceiling joists, there is less tension, and the roof loads are usually completely separate thanks to the rafters.

So no, it is not acceptable and the illustration in your link does not depict cutting a truss.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:17 PM   #7
retired framer

Yes: what he said.
I am really glad that you came to ask and now this bit of information is here it may help non members too.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:51 AM   #8

Smile

Thanks again for that possibly fatally important correction. I did some more reading on fink trusses and found this helpful source through the wikipedia page

https://books.google.com/books?id=0r...0house&f=false

It helps explain the function of fink trusses and is very helpful to a layperson like myself. I hope others going through the same thought process come across this thread and find it helpful.

Of the several architects and structural engineers we contacted to help us figure out what needs to happen none of them gave us the simple response that you two gave. They said for $XXX, we will come check it out. They had the pictures and same information as you did. I do not hold it against them, as it is not their responsibility to be doling out advice to everyone who contacts them. I just mean to say this is why I LOVE the internet and communities like this.

Thanks all
Old 09-28-2017, 09:56 AM   #9
retired framer

Fink is only one truss, they come with all kinds of designs and shapes with a bunch of names. Non of which should be changed in any way.

Glad we could help.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:11 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2

it might cost you for a perfesonall to come out, but your talking about a structure issue nothing to play around with
ktmrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
beam , load bearing wall , open concept , remodel