Removing Old Tile And Putting Up New. Few Question. - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2014, 10:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 89

Removing old tile and putting up new. Few question.

So my kitchen reno continues. We are removing these old plastic tiles and we will be replacing most of the are with ceramic subway tile. Here is a picture of one of the walls as is.

Above the old plastic tile is textured wall. We are planning on skim coating all the walls in our kitchen that will be showing (as well as the ceiling) to get a smooth finish. After we take off the tile the wall looks like this:

src="http://i.imgur.com/qekYFBF.jpg" title="Hosted by imgur.com"/></a>

There is obviously a good amount of whatever the glue was that was used to apply the plastic tile. My question is should i remove all the tile and skim coat over the old glue? Should I sand the old glue off or can i just put mastic over the old glue and just tile over it?

My gut says sanding it down to the plaster but the house was built in the 40's and i'm not sure when the texture was put on the walls so i'm trying to not disturb the texturing as much as possible because i did not test it for asbestus. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks
Whyjune1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2014, 10:42 PM   #2

Subway tile question

This is a link to my question about removing old tile and installing new ceramic subway tile. Please take a moment to look at it. Thanks.

http://www.diychatroom.com/f15/remov...estion-206311/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2014, 11:07 PM   #3
Jello Wrangler

Rewards Points: 539

You always want a flat surface to tile on. So whatever you need to do to accomplish that. It doesn't even look like if you got the glue off you would have a flat surface to tile on. Personally I would cut out the plaster, rock it and tile. It would be ready to tile in a few hours
ChiTownPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2014, 11:16 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownPro View Post
You always want a flat surface to tile on. So whatever you need to do to accomplish that. It doesn't even look like if you got the glue off you would have a flat surface to tile on. Personally I would cut out the plaster, rock it and tile. It would be ready to tile in a few hours
Agree 100%.
You will never get a satisfactory substrate for tile trying to doctor up those walls.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:18 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyjune1st View Post
This is a link to my question about removing old tile and installing new ceramic subway tile. Please take a moment to look at it. Thanks.

http://www.diychatroom.com/f15/remov...estion-206311/
Please keep all of your posts in one location or this is going to get very confusing very fast.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:26 PM   #6

I'm not trying to be contradictory just trying to understand. Why wont I have a satisfactory substrate if i remove the glue? Just wondering because clearly they put the old tile up on top of the textured wall so i'm just wondering why that would not work again. Thanks.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:35 PM   #7

Not sure why its confusing. It fit in two categories so I put it in both.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:40 PM   #8
Plumber

Rewards Points: 708

Quote:
Not sure why its confusing. It fit in two categories so I put it in both.
Only one thread of the same question is needed-
threads have been merged
ChiTownPro (09-10-2014)
Old 09-10-2014, 12:36 AM   #9
Jello Wrangler

Rewards Points: 539

Quote:
I'm not trying to be contradictory just trying to understand. Why wont I have a satisfactory substrate if i remove the glue? Just wondering because clearly they put the old tile up on top of the textured wall so i'm just wondering why that would not work again. Thanks.
It's just the pro in me. Even looking at the old tile you can see the uneven and out of line tiles. Any bump or dip will be transferred and exaggerated by the tile. The tile will dip or rock.

It can also cause thin spots or even complete loss of the thinset. Just look at how there are tons of air pockets and areas where the tiles didn't even contact the glue. It's just tile 101. Flat surface to tile on. Try to achieve full contact. Trowel the wall and butter the tile.
ChiTownPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement