Removing Laminate Backsplash?? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2017, 02:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Removing Laminate Backsplash??

8 year old thread, but this was the only info I came across about this on the interwebs. This looks exactly like what I have to deal with. Sister just got the keys to her 'new' house. The ugly as sin orange - I guess it is formica? - counter and backsplash is as described above. Metal channel on corners, edges and back of counter top. There is a gap and I can see that the 'backsplash' is behind the upper cabinets at least 4". It is drywall construction but could be 30 years old+. The cabinets are staying cause she cannot afford new. I did a quick look a couple days ago and it doesn't appear there are fasteners going through cupboards and back splash.
She hired a local contractor to install counter and is going with a tile back splash over the 4" 'stone' back splash that matches counter top.

My concern is removing the plastic from behind the cabinets. I think it would be best to just cut to bottom of cabinet. What is recommended to make a clean straight cut. The installers want everything removed - THEY WON'T DO IT. Or I could 'shimmy it from behind cabinets but then there would be a gap created and may cause problem and need to be shimmed. It makes sense to just cut it. Best tool to use? Thanks
LaneB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2017, 10:38 AM   #2
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 1,474

Re: Removing Laminate Backsplash??

I started your own thread, you should get more response here than on an old thread.

I always hated having to remove old HPL from a wall like you plan to do. Most of the time the sheet rock will be rendered useless anyway. I wouldn't suggest placing tile over sheet rock anyway. You will need a backer of some sort and that backer can be installed over the HPL, which would be the easiest way to go. Removing the HPL will usually tear the sheet rock up and would need to be replaced, then backer installed over new sheet rock, or install the backer directly on the studs after removal of sheet rock.

There is a 1/4" backer that could be used over the HPL, or if the sheet rock was removed you could use a 1/2 inch backer straight to the studs without sheet rock. If I went that way I would install a vapor barrier before installing backer, your call.

But to answer you question for cutting the HPL, use a scoring knife, carbon tip preferred, just score and repeat, it will cut the HPL in two.

I failed to add that in the old thread, there was an aluminum moulding at the counter top, at the bottom of the back splash. That moulding actually has a lip that the HPL covers and is difficult to remove without tearing up the world. Sometimes the aluminum moulding lips out onto the counter top, that is really a mess to remove.
Attached Thumbnails
Removing Laminate Backsplash??-scoring-knife-hpl.jpg  

Lawyers believe a man is innocent until proven broke.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php

Jim

Last edited by BigJim; 07-14-2017 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Added
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2017, 02:19 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,394

The metal trim can add trouble but an iron works well at loosening the glue if you can start one corner. I haven't tried it but a heat gun would likely work too.

Or
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2017, 04:08 PM   #4
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 1,474

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
The metal trim can add trouble but an iron works well at loosening the glue if you can start one corner. I haven't tried it but a heat gun would likely work too.

Or
From my experience, that works well if the glue is fairly fresh, but after it gets old that don't work too well, at least it never did for me.

Lawyers believe a man is innocent until proven broke.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 04:14 PM   #5
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,394

The iron works, my brother-in-law was repairing a fishing boat that was raised out of the ocean. All the laminate was still in the galley but no longer attached.
After it had dried for a few week they just re-installed ever piece with an iron, no new glue or anything else. There was something they washed it with but I have lost that bit of memory.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement