Removing A Chimney And Fireplace. What Do I Need To Know? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2016, 11:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Removing a chimney and fireplace. What do I need to know?

Hi all. We recently had our front fireplace (we have 2) and chimney inspected, and it's completely toast. A lot of the mortar you can stick a screwdriver all the way through. The estimate to rebuild it was $20k . We don't use the fireplace there EVER, so we've decided to remove it ourselves. I know it's going to be grueling work, but I'm up for it. We'll hire a dumpster and start taking it down brick by brick.

The thing that I'm wondering about is where the fireplace meets the foundation. We have a poured concrete foundation, but when you go into the basement you see the width of the fireplace is bricks, not concrete, as well as the little ash clean out door. My question is, what do I do here? Do we just leave that as is? Do we need to have that area re-poured as concrete? Do we just pour concrete or dirt in behind it?

I've tried to hit up about a bazillion contractors in the area, but nobody will even talk to us because the housing market here in Portland is so hot they are just throwing away work they are so busy. It's incredibly frustrating.

I'm hoping someone here can help point me in the right direction. Any help would be extremely appreciated. Thanks!!!
devinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2016, 09:41 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 114

Re: Removing a chimney and fireplace. What do I need to know?

Start from the top and work your way down lol. Seriously, make certain you take care of all safety precautions....scaffolding, protect the roof, etc. The chimney, which you are removing, has no structural bearing on the foundation...it is just dead load. You will have lightened the load once it is gone. Any voids or cavities just grout with cement or concrete, depending on how big the void. You definitely want to make certain that, whatever you do to finish it off, water doesn't get into the foundation around there. It will deteriorate the brick section. If the brick is old and some places might be in bad shape tuckpoint or re-lay any problem areas. If the soffit bumps up against the chimney you will have to re-work those areas, probably reside that section, or just build a chase, a faux chimney, our of siding. Pictures with your question would prob help a lot.
RickMacKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2016, 10:41 AM   #3

Hi Rick, thanks for the reply! I have pics now, but this site is blocking me from posting them... Not sure what's up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2016, 10:45 AM   #4

Old 04-26-2016, 10:46 AM   #5

Yay, it works now!!
Old 04-26-2016, 12:42 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 582

You might be able to sell the bricks, depending on the local market and how they clean up.
stuart45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:07 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 114

Yes there might some value in those bricks, it is more cost effective than paying to have them all hauled off. I think once you are down to that concrete base cap it off. You might use a few of those bricks as filler. When it is capped make sure it slopes away so water drains off it. Looks like vinyl or aluminum siding. You might have to re-side that entire wall.
RickMacKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:35 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 24

Heavens yeah, don't just put them in a dumpster. Stick them on Nextdoor or CL and someone will pick them up for free!

We made the mistake of putting some masonry in a dumpster for a project and we got stuck with some pretty gnarly over-weight fees.
MonsieurBon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:31 AM   #9

Great point MonsieurBon. Our city has very high disposal fees!

When we were remodeling our kitchen, I couldn't believe some of the s**t people would haul away for free when we put it on the curb and posted on CL! :D
Old 02-07-2017, 11:27 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 4

Any update on this project? How'd it go? We want to remove our chimney and fireplace as well...
#demoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement