Removing Block Wall Sections And Using Header At Rim Board - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-08-2018, 07:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 40

Removing block wall sections and using header at rim board

so I needed to get some expert input. As you can see from the photos attached this is the block wall under grade between the old 1973 house and the1995 addition. The previous homeowner opened a 36 inch passageway to the new half below grade room Right next to an old basement window which he left in. Seeing there was no support given by the window, I removed that and want to widen the steps from what all be a theater room to the lower bar area.

When he added an opening, he doubled up the 2x10 rim board to act as a header. Right now it has a span of about 5ft. I am limited on how much light comes into this basement and would really like to widen it as much as possible to make it feel as it is one entertainment area and to let in much more light from the windows above. if it were you guys would you open it up all the way? I am assuming if I get steel c channel the size of a 2 by 10 and bolt it to the 2x10 Rim joist I should be overkill with an 8 foot span. I am not asking anybody to do load calculations for me, but there is no reason I can't treat the span like any other correct? floor joist run parallel to this Rim board and supported Above This block wall is the first floor of the existing original home the floor joist of the second story of the addition and the roof of the addition above. I have experience with installing headers but not too much with large sections out of foundation walls. Would you guys leave this opening as is is it overkill for me to think that I would like to open it all up? I am a sucker for open concept. My buddy is a concrete guy and we'll do the pouring of the concrete work that needs to be done
Attached Thumbnails
Removing block wall sections and using header at rim board-20180408_183808_1523232044164.jpg   Removing block wall sections and using header at rim board-20180408_183742_1523232093716.jpg   Removing block wall sections and using header at rim board-20180408_183729_1523232132598.jpg   Removing block wall sections and using header at rim board-20180408_183703_1523232178146.jpg  
Hammerswinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2018, 10:47 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,554

Re: Removing block wall sections and using header at rim board

I would remove the header piece for the 5' opening and add to more full length in it's place. I would be looking for them to go 4 1/2" past the op[opening on both ends.

Laminate with 3 nails every 16", both new layers.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2018, 11:58 PM   #3

I haven't worked with headers and block walls. Basically the same process correct? Support the load, remove his current second 2x10 (which happens to be glued to hell to the original rim board) remove block, install 2 additional longer 2x10s screwed and glued to exisiting rim board,and wahlah? Am I missing something? That will act as a header for above? Total span will end up being about 8 ft. Here's another photo of something that caught my eye. Was gonna try to clamp it and pound back and install bridging to help hold it. The 2x6 the rim sits on is twisting outward...about only half the rim is directly above block. Should my new boards sit on this block too? Hoping I can twist it back or I will have to notch new 2x10s. How bad is this twist? Am I tripping? Should I really try to get it straight or assume new blocking and additional 2x10s will keep it from moving further? Just like to check for input to secure a solid plan here
Attached Thumbnails
Removing block wall sections and using header at rim board-20180409_234651_1523336284236.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2018, 12:06 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 708

I am not an Engineer, but usually the blocks are carrying loads, lintels and such, are core filled or grout filled to allow them to be strong enough for the loads incurred.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:07 AM   #5
retired framer

If that is glued leave it there and fill the space and then add 2 more. If you can straighten it do that before you add to it. If you end up wider than the concrete you can run a stud down to the floor as the footing should be right below the floor so you can consider that a bearing point. You can check for the footing below the floor by drilling a 6" deep hole, if you hit nothing but concrete you are good.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:10 AM   #6
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
I am not an Engineer, but usually the blocks are carrying loads, lintels and such, are core filled or grout filled to allow them to be strong enough for the loads incurred.
Thanks I don't work much with blocks, He could knock out blocks to a lower level and fill them with concrete and fill that space with 3 studs.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:45 PM   #7

Oh I see. I noticed all of my block is hollow. Is that common? So you are suggesting I remove top course of block under end of header to provide access to pour cement inside blocks below? Fill in the removed block with framing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement