Remove Kitchen Walls Below Fink Truss Attic, Load Bearing Or Not? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By alexplieu

Old 03-23-2018, 08:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 232

Remove kitchen walls below Fink truss attic, load bearing or not?

I am trying to determine if the walls I want to remove are load bearing. I suspect they are not because the adjacent room is unsupported for the entire span of the house (living and dining rooms), except for support from the adjacent exterior/garage wall.

The house is 40ft long with Fink trusses spaced 2ft on center spanning 24ft perpendicular the the 40ft length. Two level house, basement is over halfway above ground. The truss bottom chords appear to be in 2 12ft lengths joined at the middle. I didn't think to measure the size, 2x4 or 2x6, I'll let you guess in the pictures.

From my initial research, the trusses in the attic appear to be designed to not need the kitchen walls below for support. Attached are sketches of the layout and pictures of the structures in question.

Also, how do I go about getting the required permit/inspection/engineer etc... if necessary to remove these walls?

The specific walls I want removed are outlined in yellow on the 3D model that has color in it. Also, it is the wall with the fridge, and range in real life, and the remaining wall that helps form the walkways in/out of the kitchen area.
Attached Thumbnails
Remove kitchen walls below Fink truss attic, load bearing or not?-truss-style.jpg   Remove kitchen walls below Fink truss attic, load bearing or not?-remove-kitchen-walls.jpg   Remove kitchen walls below Fink truss attic, load bearing or not?-truss-span-joint.jpg   Remove kitchen walls below Fink truss attic, load bearing or not?-current-layout.jpg   Remove kitchen walls below Fink truss attic, load bearing or not?-latest-plan.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by gslenk; 03-23-2018 at 08:41 PM.
gslenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2018, 08:42 PM   #2

Re: Remove kitchen walls below Fink truss attic, load bearing or not?

One more picture of the full spanning room.
Attached Thumbnails
Remove kitchen walls below Fink truss attic, load bearing or not?-img_8897.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2018, 11:31 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,814

The kitchen appears to have a vaulted ceiling so that has a story that you have to figure out. If the room next to it under the dame trusses you may have a bearing wall.

But you will fail inspection for the weight you have stored in the trusses. The trusses are not rated for the floor never mind the storage.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2018, 04:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
The kitchen appears to have a vaulted ceiling so that has a story that you have to figure out. If the room next to it under the dame trusses you may have a bearing wall.

But you will fail inspection for the weight you have stored in the trusses. The trusses are not rated for the floor never mind the storage.
The kitchen does not have a vaulted ceiling. The look is probably an artifact of the angle I took the picture at. Normal, flat 8ft high ceilings.

Thanks for pointing out the attic junk, that is on its way out. I'm not really a fan of attic storage.

The truss webs do not land on the bottom chord directly above a wall, but I can still see the possibility of the wall supporting them in some way.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:11 PM   #5
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gslenk View Post
The kitchen does not have a vaulted ceiling. The look is probably an artifact of the angle I took the picture at. Normal, flat 8ft high ceilings.

Thanks for pointing out the attic junk, that is on its way out. I'm not really a fan of attic storage.

The truss webs do not land on the bottom chord directly above a wall, but I can still see the possibility of the wall supporting them in some way.
The truss if self supporting but I would not remove a wall until you have cleared the storage up there.
I read picture pretty good, there is a slope over the fridge and stove.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:30 AM   #6

Quote:
The truss if self supporting but I would not remove a wall until you have cleared the storage up there.
I read picture pretty good, there is a slope over the fridge and stove.
All four corners are 8ft high. It must be an illusion from the picture, I was standing in the room. Unless I have the wrong definition of a vaulted ceiling, I'm no expert.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:02 AM   #7
retired framer

Old 03-30-2018, 10:05 AM   #8
retired framer

Quote:
All four corners are 8ft high. It must be an illusion from the picture, I was standing in the room. Unless I have the wrong definition of a vaulted ceiling, I'm no expert.
The corner is about 6" above the door opening and the ceiling is 15" above the door opening , that is a slope, tat is a vaulted ceiling.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:48 AM   #9

Quote:
The corner is about 6" above the door opening and the ceiling is 15" above the door opening , that is a slope, tat is a vaulted ceiling.
Here are some more pics, the ceiling is parallel to the door opening. The original picture has an odd perspective. I see what you mean, but the cabinets above the fridge are mounted higher than the door opening, it just doesn't look like it at the angle I took the picture (same height above as with the right side door opening).
Attached Thumbnails
Remove kitchen walls below Fink truss attic, load bearing or not?-img_8906.jpg   Remove kitchen walls below Fink truss attic, load bearing or not?-img_8901.jpg  
Old 04-01-2018, 08:58 PM   #10
retired framer

Quote:
Here are some more pics, the ceiling is parallel to the door opening. The original picture has an odd perspective. I see what you mean, but the cabinets above the fridge are mounted higher than the door opening, it just doesn't look like it at the angle I took the picture (same height above as with the right side door opening).
Now I believe. I have never seen a picture so off like that.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:49 PM   #11

Any updates? Did you remove those two walls?
Nealtw likes this.
alexplieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement