Remodeling Questions - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2013, 03:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 16

Remodeling questions

My wife and I are working on remodeling a small family room off the garage. I'm currently in the demolition stage and uncovered a wall that looks to need perhaps some attention in tidying it up a bit.

This is a pic of the wall in question.

First question.
This wall sits up next to the upstairs (top half) and basement (bottom half) because the home is a split level built in the early 60s. There is an area in the wall that is open with no studs. Should I place studs in it to form a more complete wall and then pack it with insulation to help with sound transfer? What kind of insulation? Or should I place a sheet of plywood in the inset first, put studs in place, insulation, and then drywall?

Second question.
HVAC. The ducts you see in the pic are supplying heat/air. The two 7" ducts beside each other one supplies heat/air from the ceiling to the family room. From this pic do you think it's possible to supply it from the wall instead? I'm of the opinion the duct for this room is to big, because there's a same size duct that supplies a tiny bathroom with heat and air on the same level. Seems like overkill to me.

Image showing duct work and ceiling joists.

Third question.
The insulation around the ducts, is this right or should I tidy it up with something else? What kind of insulation should I put in the ceiling to help with sound? I know Roxul safe n sound would probably help. I'm thinking just r19 in the ceiling. r13 in the side wall that is uncovered. The other two walls (garage, house exterior) have fiberglass insulation on them.

Fourth question.
The cavities at the end of each wall which sits against the exterior wall have blown in insulation of some sort. Is this ok, or should I stuff it with something else? Thank you!

blobula is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Are you planning on putting drywall up? The open wall you noted that has a lack of studs does have a header beam so it appears to have been a previous doorway, window, or other opening. If you plan to drywall over it then I would recommend putting some studs in just for the rigidity of the drywall. Other than that, I can't really see a reason it would be needed. I am just a homeowner though that has done his fair share of remodeling and repairs so don't take my advice as gospel. I can't answer the HVAC questions though.
USNrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 526

I agree. Fill-in missing studs, rigid foam board glued to blocks, Roxul in cavities/and above blocks, no ply-requires drying to inside, define your thermal barrier for both rooms, f.b. and canned foam the rims; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...l_seal_rev.pdf

http://www.dow.com/webapps/lit/litor...0.pdf&pdf=true

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...ts?full_view=1

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement