Remodeling An Old Screened Porch - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2015, 07:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 34

Remodeling An Old Screened Porch

Hi,
We recently moved into a house (circa 1950s) that has a screened porch off of the walk-out rear family room. The exterior wall of the house (interior wall of the screened porch, if you will) was never altered - so it looks like the rest of that exterior wall of the house. The top half is transite siding panels and the bottom half is a real rough stucco. There is even still a small overhang roof that is over the sliding door!

Any ways, as part of a project to update the screened porch, i wanted take down the siding and the small roof that is over the sliding door (serves no purpose), and then make that wall uniform in appearance. I would prefer to loose the rough stucco of the lower half in the process. [I am aware of the care to be taken when removing the cement panels for asbestos reasons].

I am assuming that once the siding is removed, the top half and bottom half of the wall will not be even, so i will need to use furring strips of some fashion to build it up?

So, what options do I have? Any suggestions?

Thanks
BenLehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2015, 10:24 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Post a picture if you can----on a 1950s retrofit---you won't know what your need to do until you peal off the old siding and such and see the framing---
Robpo (03-15-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2015, 01:25 PM   #3

Hi,
Please see photos.
As you can see, the screened porch was just basically built/attached over the existing envelope. Which is fine, but I want it to look more 'clean' when i finish the remodel.

I agree that it will hard to know for sure until i pull the siding off, but any thoughts on re-finishing options? Perhaps the whole wall being stuccoed?

The room will most likely remain a screened porch or possibly like a 3-season room with adding storm windows for when it gets a little cooler out.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Remodeling An Old Screened Porch-photo-1.jpg   Remodeling An Old Screened Porch-photo-2.jpg   Remodeling An Old Screened Porch-photo-3.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2015, 03:48 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

I see your need---that is rather ugly----
However, the lines are clean and simple---so stripping off the cheap looking exterior and redressing it with nicer looking materials should not be to difficult.

One common failure with a slab mounted screen porch is rotting sill plates and lower framing---you will not know the condition until you remove the coverings---
Old 03-15-2015, 05:01 PM   #5

Yes. Like I said, the whole thing needs updated.

I am assuming that some of the framing of the (3) exterior walls of the porch will have some rot. I am hoping the 4x4 posts are sound, but won't know till i open rip the T1-11 sheeting off. Refacing the 3 exterior walls of the porch and the interior of those 3 walls is simple. It is just the side that is the exterior wal of the house I am still trying to figure out.

Thanks
Old 03-15-2015, 05:06 PM   #6
Retired Moderator

That little pent roof over the door is not likely to be structural--so it can go without to much difficulty---

You might want to start looking for windows---sometimes they can be found as miss ordered and marked down to nothing---a friend found four brand new skylights on craigs list---got a super deal.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:22 PM   #7

Yes.
We have been trying to figure out what we want to do about that. We have thought about keeping just screens, or doing windows, or something like the EZ-Screen systems, or storm window units with full screens.

Several of our neighbors with similar screen porches have closed them in, but i know the township gave them a hard time with permits. So we may opt to keep as a 3season-esq and not get involved with heating/cooling and permits.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:31 PM   #8
Retired Moderator

Yep,trying to get a permit to turn that into 'living space' is not practicle---but adding windows,even storm/screen units will allow you to enjoy the porch when it rains or is cooler than comfortable---
Advertisement

Tags
screen porch