Remodeling: Enclosing A Covered Porch. - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2015, 10:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Remodeling: enclosing a covered porch.

I am starting a project to enclose our current covered porch. It is supported by block columns and is covered by a continuous shingle roof. I have been told that because it was built with a roof on it, the columns and floor joist, etc were structured to hold the weight of the roof already and I won't need to block to whole foundation by code. Is this correct? I was planning to block it just for insulation value, but need to know if it would have to be inspected... couldn't find the info in the endless pages of building codes for va... Help-anyone? Ideas on how to tie the new block into the old columns before parging it? We are in central VA and seem to be in earthquake central now!
kanga2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2015, 10:53 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 582

would need to see some pictures of what your plans are....yes you would need a permit and need to get it inspected..
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2015, 11:06 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 144

Is this on a slab or what?You mentioned Floor joist so it's confusing as to what type of structure you have.Pics would sure help.Block columns and floor joist don't usually go together.

Edit:Is this a wood floor supported by block piers?Not columns?

Last edited by mako1; 01-18-2015 at 11:20 AM.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (01-18-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2015, 12:25 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4

sorry. yes block piers. decking boards on the diagonal across floor joists (I don't know what else to call them). Plate all around porch, just like house was done... we are just going to frame up the walls, push out the windows from old wall to new wall (at edge of porch)... got just about all the details worked out-just not the block work-can't seem to find the info to cover that!
kanga2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:52 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 144

If your going to fill in the block under the porch and between the piers you will need a footing under it and some way to tie into the piers.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement