Remodeling?addition To A Modular Home? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2014, 01:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Remodeling?addition to a modular home?

Hey there,

I'm in the process of buying an investment property/flip home and after the inspection yesterday, it turns out it's actually a modular home(4yrs old). The inspector realized when he saw the truss/roof system in the attic. Otherwise we had abolutely no idea. 3BD/2BTH 1100 sq.ft single family.

It's a good deal in a neighborhood that has been in transition and exploding over the past year or so.

It has "builders/renters grade" finishes (peel and stick tile, laminate countertops, etc.) I'm thinking of buying it as a flip and would want to replace some windows, add french doors, possibly add some sq. footage onto the backside to expand the rear bedrooms, lay hardwood floors, redo bathrooms, and do some other minor cosmetics on the interior of the home.

Seemed like a "no brainer" to my agent and I before I learned it was technically a modular home. Would investing in this type of reno in a mod home for a flip be worth it? Can you do these types of improvements on a mod home without running into uncommon problems?

I was so excited about it but now I'm airing on the side of caution and thinking about walking away. Some insight would be much appreciated!
Datnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2014, 02:31 PM   #2
K&B Designer

Rewards Points: 250

As 10 random strangers on the street "what is a modular home?" and all 10 will think you are talking about a mobile home. You will get the same negative reaction when you go to sell the home. Buying something for a personal residence is one thing, but when you are buying something with a permanent PR problem as an investment, it had better be a darn darn low price to be able to appreciate enough to justify the expenditure.
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2014, 03:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 17,890

I've never seen a real modular home with trusses that go all the way across.
Look under the home, is there steel beams?
If so it's a double wide mobile home not a modular.
How thick is the wall running down the center of the home?
A modular would have walls about 8 plus inches thick.
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2014, 03:26 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Hey, thanks for the feedback!

I'm not sure if the truss was running all the way across. Inspector entered the attic and noticed the truss and that it was a hinged roof system. Then came to the conclusion it was a mod home. Here is a picture. Please, keep the advice coming!
Attached Thumbnails
Remodeling?addition to a modular home?-mod.jpg  
Datnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:47 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 17,890

A hinged roof is not a truss roof.
Do you see a doubled up ridge beam?
It's ashamed modular get a bad rap, there's good ones and bad one's.
Some how people some people are under the mistaken impression there all just mobile homes.
Not helping much that some of the mobile home company's jumped on the band wagon and started calling some of there double wide's modular homes.
I've dealt with real modular homes since the 1980 up in NH.
Most had 2 X 6 walls, real combination vinyl windows, 2 X 10 or engineered floor joist, Leviton outlets and switches, plywood T& G subfloors, 5/8 CDX sheathing on the roof.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:23 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 994

In Florida modular vs manufactured vs mobile is a BIG insurance issue. Seems there is nothing chiseled in stone either. I do not know about other states, may be an issue if you are subject to hurricanes, tornadoes or earth quakes.

Some place inside the home will be a sticker or plate saying if it is man, mod or mobile at least in FL there is. Often in the electrical cabinet.

Any manufactured home seems to be ok to insure.

Modular is just a mobile home of varying quality but is built to local building codes and does not have a steel undercarriage. So is insurable!

MObile depending on what year it was built, ceiling height and many other criteria may or may not qualify for insurance? OK if you do not want insurance. However banks will not finance an unisureable home, so greatly affects value!!

Real estate agents like modular quality vary greatly. I would not take an unknown agents word for anything. you did the right thing asking.
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement