Relocate Let-In Brace For New Window - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2015, 06:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Relocate Let-In Brace For New Window

I'm in the beginning stages of moving my kitchen from one side of the room to the other. The plan was to cut in a new window over the new sink. I did some researching once I found this 1 x 4 diagonal bracing and found it to be the let-in brace to protect from wind and seismic activity. I've found a few posts saying it was OK to remove and some had alternatives.

Seeing as I live in the California bay area I definitely don't want to lessen my seismic bracing. None the less it's in my way. Is there any way I can remove this and install an alternative, out of the way of my new window? I'd even like to overkill it (without making electrical and plumbing a pain in the butt to install) seeing as I'm modifying original structure.

I've attached a pic with some info. This is an exterior wall with nothing but the black paper and stucco on it. The window is 30"wide x 36"tall and the wall is 11'3" x 94" from floor to ceiling. The window will be 5' to center off the backyard wall.

Thanks for any insight
Attached Thumbnails
Relocate Let-In Brace For New Window-img_3436.jpg  
ryaninsr101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2015, 08:41 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,890

Raise the window, use a smaller window, or remove all the sheetrock and cover the wall with at least 3/4" plywood.
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2015, 10:37 AM   #3
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Raise the window, use a smaller window, or remove all the sheetrock and cover the wall with at least 3/4" plywood.
Or you could redesign the kitchen, allowing you to move the window slightly left or right,
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement