Reducing Sound In Basement Office - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By stick\shift
  • 1 Post By 3onthetree
  • 1 Post By 3onthetree

Old 05-07-2019, 05:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 158

Reducing Sound in Basement Office

I've attached pictures of the framed walls. I would like to do what I can to reduce sound between the rest of the basement and the office. I don't need it soundproofed by any means. One thing we'll do is drywall the ceiling. I had heard my best bet would be sound dampening drywall on the walls bordering the rest of the basement and not worry about putting anything in the wall as the air gap will do just as much as any insulation would. Is this my best bet? Any other suggestions welcome

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ThH2TdFip3mRCyQp7
bluegrassliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2019, 10:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,744

Re: Reducing Sound in Basement Office

Roxul safe n sound insulation would help. Beyond that, decoupling the structure is usually required to reduce transmission by conduction.
Bondo likes this.
stick\shift is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2019, 11:37 PM   #3
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 1,118

For modest acoustics the best bang for your buck is just mineral wool batts and decoupling the ceiling drywall from the joists with channels. If you're not audio recording or listening for Russian nuclear subs then acoustic sheathing and glue probably is beyond the returns you'll get. You also have HVAC, single pane windows, and the door which sounds like you won't be addressing anyway.

FWIW airspace can be utilized in concert with fluctuating patterns of adjacent materials. The goal is to alter the sound wave but dense materials are usually good for that.
Bondo likes this.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2019, 09:24 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,069

If you're finishing the portion of the basement outside the office too, don't forget to soundproof the space between the header plates and the upstairs floor!
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:11 AM   #5

Yeah, thanks guys. I'm looking to dampen sound, not soundproof so I think Rockwool Safe and Sound is the perfect choice that's easy to work with, cost effective, and doesn't require my contractor to do a lot more steps, etc.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:39 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 678

Your contractor needs to step up his game, the attention to detail is lacking.
Attached Thumbnails
Reducing Sound in Basement Office-basement-office.jpg  
HenryMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:33 PM   #7

Had the Rockwool Safe and Sound put in today and most of the drywall hung. For $250 bucks it made a HUGE difference. It may not be soundproof, but that stuff is super effective. Might as well be soundproof to me.

I may decide to use it in the rest of the basement. The only trick is we planned on leaving the joists and mechanics exposed and spraying the ceiling white. We like the exposed look. But not sure how that would look with bats of Rockwool up there. Is it paintable? Would that look right?
Old 05-09-2019, 04:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onthetree View Post
For modest acoustics the best bang for your buck is just mineral wool batts and decoupling the ceiling drywall from the joists with channels. If you're not audio recording or listening for Russian nuclear subs then acoustic sheathing and glue probably is beyond the returns you'll get. You also have HVAC, single pane windows, and the door which sounds like you won't be addressing anyway.

FWIW airspace can be utilized in concert with fluctuating patterns of adjacent materials. The goal is to alter the sound wave but dense materials are usually good for that.
I meant to reply to this earlier. No, I don't plan on addressing the windows or HVAC per se. I did put Rockwool Safe n Sound between the office wall and the mechanics and it cut down on that sound a lot. But I was going to ask, what should I do with the door? Once finished we will be using carpet tiles for the floor. I have a solid core door getting installed. Should i put some kind of sweep on the bottom to help with noise?
Old 05-09-2019, 04:57 PM   #9
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 1,118

You probably don't need anything for the door, I was just using those examples justifying how you needn't go overboard with acoustics. You can always deal with the gap under the door later if its not to your liking. If you want though, put some spray foam in the rough opening gaps ($2.99 a can) before he puts the casing on, just because its easy to do now in case you'd want to do it later.
bluegrassliving likes this.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement