Reconstructing Driveway To Create Flat Area - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes

Old 03-07-2019, 08:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 24

Long story short, we have a 33ft driveway that is a rise of ~5ft over that span (pretty steep) especially in winter with snow and ice. The entire driveway is like this which presents an issue for people parking and walking on it (regardless of season). We are currently looking into options with several contractors to see what would be the most feasible for us since we very much want to stay at this location if we can.

We are not opposed to redoing landscaping and building significant retaining wall(s) to support this endeavor - as those are likely requirements to move forward. Our number one concern given the options we've briefly considered (early stages of this project planning) is being able to comfortably get into the garage from the street (it is a single entrance neighborhood so we'll always be coming from the WEST). Backing out of the garage shouldn't be AS big of a deal since we could handle backing out and turning to go forward to the street (if necessary).

What's most important for us:

1) Sizeable flat landing area at the garage floor level. Kids' toys won't runaway into the street if they leave the garage and those visiting can safely park and walk to the front entrance, to name a couple.

2) Being able to comfortably navigate in and out of the garage with both vehicles. Two mid-sized SUVs with decent turn radius.

3) Play area on aforementioned flat landing area (parking area) for basketball hoop, riding bikes, playing with chalk, etc.
Pictures for reference and options for projects (thus far):

https://imgur.com/a/NBjqvFH

Any input, feedback or help would be greatly appreciated! TIA!

Last edited by fusebox7; 03-07-2019 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Formatting
fusebox7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2019, 09:06 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,776

Re: Reconstructing Driveway to Create Flat Area

Do you have a basement?
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2019, 09:11 PM   #3

Yes we have a walkout basement...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2019, 09:46 PM   #4
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusebox7 View Post
So might be able to just lower the floor of the garage 2 or 3 ft.

If it was here most of the time the foundation would be as deep as the house.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:18 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 4

Reconstructing Driveway to Create Flat Area

Do you know for sure that the city or AHJ will allow two curb cuts as shown in options 1 and 3? That can sometimes be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
schreibdave likes this.

Last edited by TrojanHorse; 03-07-2019 at 10:21 PM.
TrojanHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 02:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusebox7 View Post
So might be able to just lower the floor of the garage 2 or 3 ft.

If it was here most of the time the foundation would be as deep as the house.
Thought about that. foundation is 42 inch so not basement depth but regardless that seems like it would be much more costly and lead to more steps into the house from the garage and the driveway since it would be lower.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
Do you know for sure that the city or AHJ will allow two curb cuts as shown in options 1 and 3? That can sometimes be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not 100% but the contractor I've worked with most on some of the planning didn't think it'd be an issue. Ultimately it would be a matter of the HOA approving the plans but there aren't any bylaws regarding driveways as they yield to township regulations.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:05 AM   #8
Collector of tools

Rewards Points: 120

Looks like a beautiful house. I prefer option 1 over the others but that looks like a REALLY expensive project. I don't know what kind of real estate market you live in but around here we would never get that money back at resale. But if that's not a concern I like the way option 1 looks.

As somebody else said, I would be surprised if the town and HOA were both OK with your adding another curb cut and potentially do it that close to the property line.

Good luck
schreibdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:54 AM   #9

Thanks for the kind words. We really do want to stay here but now that we have young kids and have played out a few scenarios that have been scary (parked cars sliding into street, balls rolling into street...) we need to make an effort to mitigate those situations.

The twp. and HOA setbacks for driveway are 5-8ft. from the property line. BUT I will double/triple check with both authorities.

Option #1 is definitely the cheapest route.
Option #2 is nice however our concern is coming from the west and then having to make close to a 180 degree turn to come back towards the garage in order to park. Not sure if it's feasible.
Option #3 was created to correct the major pitfall of #2.

The reason for avoiding #1 would be we're trying at all costs to eliminate the slope (it doesn't really show well in the pictures) but it's about 15-16%. It's one thing to use it as a conduit to the garage via AWD vehicle but to traverse it (especially our elder family members) is just downright treacherous... even in non-winter months.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:19 AM   #10
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 1,844

There could be other restrictions besides the second curb cut. There are sometimes a SF limit to the amount of impervious material covering your lot (based on a ratio). I would guess the HOA would also not like an almost 5' high retaining wall so close to the sidewalk.

The sidewalk elevation will be the base point (is the 33' length to sidewalk?).. So in most schemes, you will have a rise of say 4.5' over 13' long (given a 20' flatter area) right after you cross the sidewalk going up.. That is probably too steep for vehicles to negotiate the scrape or the crown. And trapezoidal-shaped slope areas in 2 of the schemes might be steeper at the narrow end.

I'd ballpark your schemes at $25-40K. Lowering the garage floor maybe $60K?

Have you considered:
1. sport court in backyard ($10-15K)
2. stepped sidewalk from porch out to street, independent from the driveway ($5K)
Attached Thumbnails
Reconstructing Driveway to Create Flat Area-fuse-.jpg   Reconstructing Driveway to Create Flat Area-fuse1.jpg   Reconstructing Driveway to Create Flat Area-fuse2.jpg   Reconstructing Driveway to Create Flat Area-fuse3.jpg  
Attached Images

3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:24 AM   #11
Collector of tools

Rewards Points: 120

I'm not telling you anything you don't already know but all of these options are just moving the slope from one place to another and possibly even increasing it - if you end up dropping the 5ft over less than your current 33ft driveway.

I can relate to the fear of the slope with young kids. But moving the slope is probably just going to move the danger zone from one place to another. Will your kids stay away from that new danger zone? Mine are older now but I know what my answer would have been!

Have you considered some sort of attractive automatic gate at the end of the drive? I am thinking brick pillars on either side with a nice wrought iron fence in between? Might solve the problem of the kids going down the drive on their big wheels. Maybe some low, dense plantings along your front property line near the road to keep the balls and kids in? How about using the money you would use for this project to build an awesome backyard play area that makes them want to stay in back rather than in front? Just some thoughts.
schreibdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onthetree View Post
There could be other restrictions besides the second curb cut. There are sometimes a SF limit to the amount of impervious material covering your lot (based on a ratio). I would guess the HOA would also not like an almost 5' high retaining wall so close to the sidewalk.

The sidewalk elevation will be the base point (is the 33' length to sidewalk?).. So in most schemes, you will have a rise of say 4.5' over 13' long (given a 20' flatter area) right after you cross the sidewalk going up.. That is probably too steep for vehicles to negotiate the scrape or the crown. And trapezoidal-shaped slope areas in 2 of the schemes might be steeper at the narrow end.

I'd ballpark your schemes at $25-40K. Lowering the garage floor maybe $60K?

Have you considered:
1. sport court in backyard ($10-15K)
2. stepped sidewalk from porch out to street, independent from the driveway ($5K)
Thanks for the reply!
- 33 ft from garage door to sidewalk
- the benefit of coming in from the EAST side of the property (new curb cut) is that the road/sidewalk is roughly 2 feet higher there than at the current driveway/sidewalk location. This would reduce the slope to get to the garage floor height. The cause for concern is the angle at which we'd need to approach the garage (hard to visualize if the vehicles could comfortably navigate this).
1. yes have considered but backyard is also sloped. The "sport court" was mainly a secondary benefit to having a designated flat parking area. This isn't a requirement by any means but a 24 x16 area could serve as a small basketball court, for instance.
2. Have thought about this (to from the mailbox, for instance). However, if you notice (and I have other pictures that show this better)... the overhead map shots are old and we have new landscaping (retaining wall) that would have to be modified to accommodate something like this.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by schreibdave View Post
I'm not telling you anything you don't already know but all of these options are just moving the slope from one place to another and possibly even increasing it - if you end up dropping the 5ft over less than your current 33ft driveway.

I can relate to the fear of the slope with young kids. But moving the slope is probably just going to move the danger zone from one place to another. Will your kids stay away from that new danger zone? Mine are older now but I know what my answer would have been!

Have you considered some sort of attractive automatic gate at the end of the drive? I am thinking brick pillars on either side with a nice wrought iron fence in between? Might solve the problem of the kids going down the drive on their big wheels. Maybe some low, dense plantings along your front property line near the road to keep the balls and kids in? How about using the money you would use for this project to build an awesome backyard play area that makes them want to stay in back rather than in front? Just some thoughts.
Understood on all points. I have started to think about some mechanism to keep things contained into the lot/driveway. I'm not sure about the pillars and gate idea. In theory that sounds nice. I just can't picture how that would look/operate.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:50 AM   #14
Retired Handyman/Painter

Rewards Points: 1,230

a 6" - 6,000Lb flat slab driveway at least 20 feet out from the
garage door is so valuable beyond words. especially if you
want to do any kind of maintenance on your vehicles that
require a flat and level place to work on. (my van is 19 feet long).
and a flat safe play area for the kids is high on the list, too.
I layed 120' of asphalt all the way to my carport and kicked
my hind end every time I WISHED that I had the forethought
of a nice flat concrete pad instead of soft asphalt.
if you can't figure it out yourself, I would invest in a building engineer
consultant to figure it out for you.

I would try to figure this option into your plan ~ with a French Drain
at the garage door to assist in the rain water removal issue.
Attached Images

Last edited by Johnny_inFL; 03-08-2019 at 09:57 AM.
Johnny_inFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:57 AM   #15
retired framer

Something like this
Attached Thumbnails
Reconstructing Driveway to Create Flat Area-driveway.png  
Advertisement