Recessed Lighting/new Switch From AC Outlet - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2014, 11:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Recessed Lighting/new switch from AC outlet

Hello DIYers,

Could you look at my workflow and critique/advise?

*Installing remodel recessed LED lights with new dimmer switch*

#1 Ordered Remodel cans and Led lights. They match (GU 24) and the cans are IC rated--there will be insulation touching the cans.

#2 Fish 12/2 from attic down between studs to newly cut Switch hole.

# 3 turn off power at breaker, test lines to be sure its off.

#4 run 12/2 from ac outlet to dimmer switch (the switch is directly above the outlet, in the same stud channel)

#5 connect dimmer switch to 12/2 that runs up to the attic

#6 cut holes in ceiling, insert cans and lights

#7 connect 12/2 to each light in turn.

#8 Pray to the god of DIY and turn the power back on.

I've installed Junction boxes and new ac outlets before, but this is a bit of a step up for me, so ANY advice about ANY step here is REALLY appreciated!

I'll be crawling around on the joists in the attic, hoping there are no recluse spiders, etc. any advice about that is welcome and appreciated as well!
LeeSorenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2014, 01:10 PM   #2
Knows Enough to be Danger

Rewards Points: 1,203

What type of room? I think that having lights and receptacles on the same circuit is a no-no in kitchens or bathrooms?

But yeah . . . that's pretty much the way to wire it up.
NickTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2014, 04:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks!

Thanks for responding, NickTheGreat

It's an outlet in the living room. I read that too, about the bathrooms and kitchens... so that's covered.

I'm scouring wiring diagrams for 'outlet-to-switch-to-lights' set ups. It's funny how some diagrams are so hard for my brain to digest.
LeeSorenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2014, 04:03 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 26

Receptacles and lights are put on the same circuit all the time. That's why, for example, on your breaker panel there is no "Master bedroom plugs" and "Master bedroom lights" labels, just one for "Master bedroom". I believe the magic number is 12 things on one circuit max though. So you could have 2 plugs/10 lights, or 6 plugs/6 lights, or 11 plugs/1 light, etc...

If you're not wiring a 3-way circuit, how you have it described above is how you will wire it. Although you shouldn't need 12/2 wire just for some lights, 14/2 should be fine. Unless the codes are different where you live, but I believe that's all that is required in my area.
gouldjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:49 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,472

I think the basic rule is 12 ga wire is on 20 amp breaker and 14 ga wire on 15 amp breaker. So, the 14 ga wire should not connect with anything that is on 20 amp breaker.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:25 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,804

Quote:
I believe the magic number is 12 things on one circuit max though. So you could have 2 plugs/10 lights, or 6 plugs/6 lights, or 11 plugs/1 light, etc...
That's Canadian, not USA. One of the reasons the OP should put his location in his profile.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:25 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 26

Ah, so in the US it's more/less than 12? It can't be much different, anyways. Or, like what the OP was referring to, do receptacles and lights have to be on separate circuits as well?
gouldjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:49 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,472

Not an electrician. How many outlets or devices can be on a circuit is more specific than a general rule, and how to find out is through out the web and not that hard to understand. OP should research it himself. If tapping off 20 amp circuit for a lighting, 12 ga wire must be used. Also, not crowding the box.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:22 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,804

Quote:
Ah, so in the US it's more/less than 12? It can't be much different, anyways.
For residential, the NEC does not specify the number. Some local amendments do.

Most electricians have their own rule of thumb that they follow, but you won't get a consensus on a single number.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
advice needed , dimmer switch , recessed , remodel