Range Venting Problem For Kitchen Remodel - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2015, 04:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 866

Range Venting Problem for Kitchen Remodel

We are having a full kitchen remodel and the problem is how to vent the range or range top which is mounted against an interior wall. 20+ years ago the contractor went with a downdraft system that pierces the slab and comes up just inside the perimeter wall where it connects with a bent located approximately 8" above exterior grade.

If possible and practical, we want to install a range hood. If so, I think venting through the second story, the half attic, and through the roof is out of the question due to the existing design. There is a remote possibility of running 6" ducting through a soffit and over to an exterior wall - if a what appears to be a 4" cast iron drain line is moved to one side 2+ inches. If not, I suppose a good contractor might figure a way out to the exterior without too much additional work. Perhaps there is none and we are stuck doing downdraft.

My question is what kind of contractor would do this sort of duct work and do it right? Some HVAC people were sent out yesterday and they only knew how to clean and repair heating and a/c venting, which is quire different. (A neighbor ran his through using 3X10" rigid ducting that made 5 turns in 17 feet. I don't know if that was such a good idea or if it is even close to code.)

Here is a picture of the existing downdraft system. Last night the designer was taling about placing a full range with oven there, until I asked her how she is going to vent it through the downdraft system which we will have to use if they can't work a range vent out.

If we stick with the existing down draft venting, but get one of the pop up vents for a range top, should an installer have much of a problem connecting the pop up and a blower to the existing large vertical (8"?) vent?
Attached Thumbnails
Range Venting Problem for Kitchen Remodel-kitchen-vent-010.jpg   Range Venting Problem for Kitchen Remodel-kitchen-vent-008.jpg   Range Venting Problem for Kitchen Remodel-kitchen-vent-011.jpg   Range Venting Problem for Kitchen Remodel-kitchen-vent-009.jpg  
Klawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2015, 06:44 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 16

It is rather complicated to answer this .Hope anyone can help you in this regard.
5in1airsofabed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 5in1airsofabed For This Useful Post:
Klawman (05-29-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2015, 07:04 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 282

Running through the soffit to the outside would be best. Instead of moving the cast iron pipe, can you make the soffit bigger? Also, dont know what is on the other side of your wall. Can you run the vent pipe through the wall, and build a soffit in that room to take it outside.
We are going through the same remodel, but I had the designer draw up all plans so they dont do this type of stuff on the fly
ZTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZTMAN For This Useful Post:
Klawman (05-29-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2015, 07:05 AM   #4
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

That one is going to be tough----you may need to open up the soffit completely to see if moving the drain is even an option.

Remember, a 3 1/4" x 10 duct will also work if a 6" round can't be used.
Klawman (05-29-2015)
Old 05-29-2015, 12:50 PM   #5

The remodeling contractor will be here this afternoon with their construction foreman to see what they can do. I have opened up the soffit and going through the chase at the level of the soffit is a no go for several reasons. However, the top of the soffit is wide open and 6" round rigid ducting can be ran through it without disturbing the vertical ci pipe. See the lower picture. The copper running down the vertical chase terminates takes a bend out of the way just above the point where the duct needs to go through. If the copper is cut cut so that it makes that bend 2.5" lower down an 8" duct will fit if that ABS to the right side of the photo can be moved ever so slightly. The contractor is checking that it can be cut that low without major surgery, but if not a 7" can be done. As is, I expect the exterior stucco will have to be chipped out to get access to the cantilevered 4 foot overhang the second floor.

The first picture shows what is sitting just above the chipboard of the first picture, the drain for the master br toilet (that I got help here with a year ago. See this old thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Range Venting Problem for Kitchen Remodel-soffit-pics-010.jpg  

Last edited by Klawman; 05-29-2015 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:30 PM   #6

Here is a wider photo of that upper joist bay that was previously cut into to replace the toilet flange. To the one side you can see a lower level drainage (from the MBR sinks/tub/shower?). If that turns into the abs line making it just a bit too tight to run 8" through the lefel just above the soffit, it should be fairly easy to move that piping down. c.i. pipe.

Last edited by Klawman; 05-29-2015 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:44 PM   #7

Does the smaller of the two ABS lines in the above picture appear to be a vent line for the stack and, if it is, I am thinking that it could fairly easily be moved so as to not restrict passage of ducting. I am also wondering how difficult it would be to shift the top of the stack over an inch or two (as seen in the picture it would be moved down.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:08 PM   #8

The contractor was out and says he can't get an 8" duct through there, but can get 7" rigis through the soffit and straight out the wall. I didn't think it was feasible but I think he knows his stuff and this is after he climbed up to see what I had opened up. He will also sister the damaged joist at the same time he reroutes the copper to get it out of way of the ducting. Here is a pic of where he is going through the chase at the level of the soffit.
Attached Thumbnails
Range Venting Problem for Kitchen Remodel-soffit-pics-011.jpg  
Old 05-30-2015, 06:29 AM   #9
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Still a challenge---there are some huge volume fans out on the market---8 inch duct (or 7) will carry off a lot of cooking mess.

If you can get 7" inside that joist pocket,the unit will work just fine.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Still a challenge---there are some huge volume fans out on the market---8 inch duct (or 7) will carry off a lot of cooking mess.

If you can get 7" inside that joist pocket,the unit will work just fine.
I agree that it is still no cake walk, Mike, which is why I am leaving this to the contracor. Like he said, it is going to be a tight squeeze. As for air volume, I wanted to install a range top with burners having a total output of 107,000 btu for which I should supposedly have a range top with a 10 inch duct. I may still get the pro burner with the knowledge that it isn't going to be able to handle everything with everything on full blast, but when does that ever happen? Fortunately, California doesn't require make up air, except in some Northern Cali jurisdictions that adopted it by local ordinance.
The Following User Says Thank You to Klawman For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-02-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement