Questions About Sealing My Garage Space - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2014, 10:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Questions about sealing my garage space

Hey folks I have a garage/apartment remodel that is going to kick off soon. The future apartment is going to be directly above my garage. So, it is necessary for me to seal my garage with an appropriate fire rating etc... Oregon code requires 5/8 rock on the ceiling, 1/2 min. for the walls, and all penetrations must be sealed with a fire rated caulk etc...

The problem that I have is my new furnace and existing ducting are located tight in one corner of the garage. The ducting runs through the ceiling to the upper space (where the apartment will be located).

So, I have no way of installing Sheetrock or sealing the garage in that specific corner. Is it possible to build an interior garage wall that essentially is sealing the space and creating a mechanical room for the furnace? Im sure I will need a fire rated door to the room with the proper seals etc... No worries about the furnace it is a direct vented furnace and draws all of its air from the exterior.

Any comments or points would be great. thanks in advance, Mitch
mitshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2014, 08:20 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,458

If it is direct vented, you may not need to use the existing duct. If you do, you can replace with double walled duct and fire rated enclosure.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement