Question Re: New Subfloor And Repair Sill Plate In Older Home - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-11-2018, 12:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Question re: new subfloor and repair sill plate in older home

We recently purchased a home in need of renovation, with the intent to move my MIL in. The house was built in 1947 and before we purchased it some of the demolition was complete, including removal of all wall and ceiling covers. The good news is that this gave us visibility into the walls, which not suprisingly included some signs of prior termite damage and rot. It appears to be isolated though, and overall the floor joists and crawlspace seems to be in pretty good shape.

The house is 960sq ft built on a block foundation, with a 4x8 sill plate and a 4x8 beam down the middle. About half the house is hardwood floors that have been sanded down a few times, and which I don't care to keep. What surprised me about the house and which I haven't encountered before (I've done some remodeling on a couple other houses we have) is that the hardwood was nailed directly down to joists (no subfloor) and the walls were built off the sill plates with no bottom plate.

The good news is this make demoing the floor pretty easy.

The thing that has me scratching my chin is that when I come back and put new subfloor down, it won't run up under the walls, and this will create a seam where the living space is not separated from the crawl space. I get that it will be minor, and I could go around and caulk it I guess, but my question to the group would be is that how you would attack it?

I've considered gluing and screwing some 2x lumber to the sill plate to set the subloor on and provide not only a spot to screw the subloor down, but also to close up the gap. I can't imagine raising the exterior walls to slide new subfloor underneath. Figured i'd bounce it off the group for any feedback or experience you may have in the matter.

The other thing we need to do is cut out and replace some of the sill where it's rotted. The good news is I have the walls and floors opened up on the inside and plan to remove the siding from the outside, so I should have easy access. My thought right now is to build a temporary wall on the inside that will carry the roof and hold the weight of the house up while I cut them out. Any thoughts from the group on how to simplify this process? I still have some floor to remove, so I could find there are more bad spots, but right now it looks like 2 sections to replace... 1 is on a corner and is about 5 feet on each side of the corner. The other is about 4 feet under a window.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
tennesseejb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2018, 12:36 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,748

Re: Question re: new subfloor and repair sill plate in older home

Trouble understanding how the floor and wall tie into to the sill can you post a photo.
Are the joists the same height as the sill?
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2018, 12:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 6

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the 4x8 sill is standing 8" high... leaving a ledge on the block for the 2x8 joists to sit on, which in the older construction are toe nailed into the sill. They renovated one room, and replaced the joists with new 2x8 lumber which are on joist hangers. Attaching some pictures, though they are are not the best pictures.
Attached Images

tennesseejb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2018, 12:52 PM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,748

So you could just add a 2x4 block to the rim between the joist to support the edge of the new floor and close the gap, Then for insulation I would add a 2x2 or 2x3 to the thickness of the wall with a sill on the new floor. If you find rot on the ends of the joist You could add solid blocking to the rim and add hangers to do away with up to 3" of joist ends
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement