Question About Egress Windows In The Basement - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2014, 10:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,014

Question about egress windows in the basement

I recently had an egress window installed in a room in my basement that I'm converting into my bedroom. My house is on the small side (limited budget) but my kids are getting to the size/age they're wanting their own bedrooms.

I have room in my basement to add another bedroom right next to the room with the egress window. But I don't have the money to have a second egress window installed, which would only be five feet from the first one.

I read what I could on the code and it sounds like every room requires an egress window but some of the language regarding basement bedrooms was confusing. I know the answer to the following question is to check with my local code, but I wanted to know if any of you had any experience with the rules regarding if I can use the adjacent room as a bedroom if the door to that room is literally a foot from the door to the room with the egress window?
spaceman spif is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2014, 10:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,884

Did you get permits for this work.
Adding bedrooms is going to open up a can of worm with the health dept. as well as the building dept.
woodworkbykirk (01-23-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2014, 01:00 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 166

You can use the room however you want. No one is going to come by and check if there is a bed in there.
You can't sell it as a bedroom without an egress door or window.

However, the reason for an egress window is to allow an escape route when the interior is inaccessible, as can easily happen during a fire. Hallways can fill with thick smoke and flame and that one foot between doors might as well be a mile.
It would be a good idea to have an exterior egress option in any room that gets used as a bedroom.
dftc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dftc For This Useful Post:
creeper (01-22-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2014, 09:21 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

I agree..you can't call it a bedroom if it doesn't have its own egress.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:06 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 526

Ohio is under the IBC; http://www.reedconstructiondata.com/...ng-codes/ohio/

"1029.1 General. In addition to the means of egress required by this chapter, provisions shall be made for emergency escape and rescue in Group R and I-1 occupancies. Basements and sleeping rooms below the fourth story above grade plane shall have at least one exterior emergency escape and rescue opening in accordance with this section. Where basements contain one or more sleeping rooms, emergency escape and rescue openings shall be required in each sleeping room, but shall not be required in adjoining areas of the basement. Such openings shall open directly into a public way or to a yard or court that opens to a public way."------ from; http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic..._10_sec029.htm
Firemen won't know to look behind the door (and since no window) for your loved one.....

Gary
Old 01-22-2014, 08:57 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 17,884

Go down there at night, shut off the lights, spin around a few times, now try and find your way out.
Picture people that have never been to your house before, in total darkness, trying to find someone.
We find them, but far to often to late.
Windows on Wash (01-23-2014), woodworkbykirk (01-23-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement