Which Quality Of Pine Lumber For Tongue And Groove Wall? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2015, 10:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Which Quality of pine lumber for tongue and groove wall?

So I am planning to redo my walls in my living room with pine 1 x 6s or maybe 4s (haven't decided size yet). I am just curious as too what Quality of board I should get because I see they have select, quality and standard. I know quality would obviously be nicer but very costly and I figure they might be more for outside purposes. I don't get much rain in my living room but I don't want to use the cheapest if there is a risk of warping. While you're here I also have been on an extensive search for beginning router bit sets. I know I'll use it for shelving and probably other stuff I venture into learning overtime. I have yet to find a bit set with tongue and groove included.
jbockenfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2015, 11:46 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 144

You cab save a few bucks buying router bit sets.I have always bought single bits as the need arises for a certain profile.The sets look less expensive but when you never use half of them,what is the savings?
If you plan on using a tongue and groove set you really need a router table for best results.
I would go with the quality grade pine.The standard grade gets pretty rough.The select has less knots and the color match is better.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2015, 02:23 PM   #3
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 1,578

clear pine will give you the best results. as it wont have any large loose knots.

if you want some character you can use knotty pine , the only thing is you may need to pick through it a little more to make sure your knot getting loose knots and really unsightly ones full of pitch
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2015, 03:14 PM   #4
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 1,496

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako1 View Post
You cab save a few bucks buying router bit sets.I have always bought single bits as the need arises for a certain profile.The sets look less expensive but when you never use half of them,what is the savings?
If you plan on using a tongue and groove set you really need a router table for best results.
I would go with the quality grade pine.The standard grade gets pretty rough.The select has less knots and the color match is better.
This is what I've done over the years, just buy as you need them. I am just the other way when running T&G, I want a hand held router instead if the router table, if a board is off a little the profile can ride down and mess the board up where the router just follows the bend, twist or what ever. JMHO

Lawyers believe a man is innocent until proven broke.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:23 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 144

That's why I use feather boards on the router table.For me it's just to easy to tip the router when running it by hand.It does not take much with T&G to mess up the joint.
Just my preference.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
BigJim (01-02-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement