Post Removal In A Weight Bearing Wall - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

post removal in a weight bearing wall

There is an addition that is 24 feet wide with a post directly in the middle. The post really interferes with the flow of the rooms (den/kitchen/dr combo area). Can it be removed and how expensive is it to remove a post. It does have a light switch in it.
gemrnbsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 9,258

Your not going to like the answer......

Yes....it 'can' be removed....but you need the input from an engineer. Is this single story or 2-story?

It's not expensive to remove it.....it's the cost of putting a beam up there to support the weight for that span that is expensive.

I can understand why you want to remove it.....but if your asking price....chances are, once you find out what it will cost to 'eliminate', your going to like that post a lot more.

Just to give you an idea of what would be needed....my garage is 20' wide...I have a PSL beam that is 16"H x 7"W across that span. I'm sure your room would need a larger one (that can only be determined by an engineer). BTW....my garage is 2-stories...

In addition....it needs to be determined if your outside foundation can support the additional weight created by the beam at the ends.

Lastly....you will not get anyone here to give you a price....too many variables.

Good luck....and...it would be nice for you to post up what you find out....it might help someone else.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
rossfingal (11-23-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2013, 09:00 AM   #3
K&B Designer

Rewards Points: 250

Talk to a structural engineer about the hows of removing the post and reengineering the home's support system. That's typically an inexpensive (in the world of construction) expenditure. You will need his plans to file with your AHJ to get the permit. The beam that will be needed will be pretty large, and the skill set to set it is beyond the skill of most casual DIYers, so once you get the engineer's report, you can talk to contractors with that information in hand to be able to get a price for what the engineer has recommended. There's no such thing as a "typical" project or price for such a project, as it could vary from 2K in a low cost labor area with low weight loads that can use the existing foundation to 20K in a higher cost labor area with high weight loads and a newly engineered piers for the point loads.
Advertisement

Tags
post removal