Phone Jack - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2014, 12:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 137

phone jack

We are remodeling our kitchen and someone said phone jacks are a thing of the past. We only use a cell phone ourselves, but for resale value, should we put a phone jack back into the wall?
debd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2014, 12:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,890

I'd leave it so someone would have to go back and have to go through the hassle of running a new wire.
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2014, 01:11 PM   #3
Knows Enough to be Danger

Rewards Points: 1,203

I've blanked off a lot of mine, but I'd probably leave it if I were you. Landlines are going extinct, but we're probably a ways off from them being unnecessary.
NickTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2014, 01:17 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,154

I just went through this decision. We use internet Magic Jack phone service (love it!),. I disconnected the existing landline wiring at the box outside and hooked it all up to the Magic Jack, and now it reaches everywhere the old landline went.

Even if you're not going to use it, I'd leave the existing wiring and jacks in place.
ZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:58 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,788

Unless they are really anal about having an old wall phone or having their cordless base station/answering machine in the kitchen, no one will notice that there is no phone jack.

The older the phone wire is, the less suitable it is for modern data communications.

So if you don't want it there, you don't have to put it back.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:33 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 6,652

Just leave them there. Someone may want to use a regular phone set with Digital Phone service. As for not good for data. That is false. DSL runs miles over traditional untwisted Copper lines. A short section of Cat-5e is not going to improve the quality.

Until VoIP handsets become cheaper and are offered in place of having to use standard cordless or corded handsets, you are going to still have a segment that depends on Cellular Phone service, and another that depends on Digital or POTS.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:01 PM   #7

When wiring in a RJ11 or RJ45 is it proper to go through a box as with an electrical outlet or can the loose wire just be attached to the faceplate?
Old 10-22-2014, 04:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by debd View Post
When wiring in a RJ11 or RJ45 is it proper to go through a box as with an electrical outlet or can the loose wire just be attached to the faceplate?
You use what is called a "Low Voltage" wall plate. Used to be when Ma Bell techs would wire homes. They would just make a hole in the wall, pull the wire up the wall out of the hole, then just attach a plate to the wall.

Homes would be wired in a Series configuration for telephone wiring. If one jack went bad, then all jacks were dead. Now you do what is called a "Star" configuration from a central DeMarc point. Mine happens to be in my basement where all of my network gear is located.

We only use Cellphones in our house. No need for the extra expense for POTS or Digital phone service, since we get unlimited talk time on our cellphones.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:59 PM   #9

The phone line must be very old wiring. Can someone tell me what the colors now correspond to . I have blue and light blue, orange and light orange.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #10

Quote:
The phone line must be very old wiring. Can someone tell me what the colors now correspond to . I have blue and light blue, orange and light orange.
Not that old. Orange pair should be Line 1, Blue pair should be Line 2. You can confirm by looking inside the NID on the side of the house.

Old 10-23-2014, 04:41 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,536

Quote:
We are remodeling our kitchen and someone said phone jacks are a thing of the past. We only use a cell phone ourselves, but for resale value, should we put a phone jack back into the wall?
We use only cell phones as well. Got rid of the land line 2 years ago.. but we still have phone jacks and house phones which we use regularly.

We use the Xlink box which ties up to three cell phones (via bluetooth) into your house phones. When you get a call on your cell phone, it also rings the house phones so you never miss a call. You can also dial out on any house phone as well.

When you come into the house you just drop your phone beside the Xlink box and it automatically connects to it through bluetooth. The Xlink connects into your house phone line and all phones in the house then become an extension to your cell phone (the call display even works). This way you don't have to carry your cell phone all over the house. You can connect up to 3 cell phones, and as many house phones as you wish. Of course you can also connect a wireless phone set into the xlink box and simply place wireless hand sets around the house as well if you wish, but I guess the point is that the phone line through the house offers a bit more flexibility, so it should be left.

http://www.myxlink.com/index.aspx

Last edited by Bob Sanders; 10-23-2014 at 04:46 PM.
Bob Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement