Patio Project---ion/Kitchen Komplikation - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-17-2017, 12:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 34

Patio Project---ion/Kitchen Komplikation

Stymied!

My patio meets the edge of my house' concrete slab 1.25 inches below my house' sill plate. Think of it as an

L

The homes sill plate rests atop the vertical leg. I intend to lay a sill plate for my outdoor kitchen on the horizontal leg against the vertical leg of the L.

The exterior is Hemlock board and batten laid over a 3/4 ply sheathing. This is (of course) anchored to the homes sill plate. After the board and batten cladding is removed, the sheathing protrudes 3/4's beyond the homes concrete slab (the top of the L overhanging the bottom of the L). This prevents the outdoor sill from getting a good seal.

A flush face to face marriage isn't going to happen using off the shelf dimensional lumber. I can only perceive accomplishing this with;
1) a filler strip bridging the gap from the bottom of the sheathing to the patio
2) a gasket made of urethane or silicone
3) A 3/4" tenon cut from the sill plate.

Alternatively, I could use spacers/legs to bring the outdoor sill even with the house sill. This would result in a gap between the floor of the cabinet and the patio. I'm in the south eastern US. This is a wet environment. Is the gap strategy NFG?

Your input and opinion welcome....especially if they are experience based

Last edited by uncommonscents; 06-17-2017 at 12:54 PM.
uncommonscents is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2017, 01:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,106

Re: Patio Project---ion/Kitchen Komplikation

Am I reading correctly that you are intending to attach something to the house? Sorry, was not clear to me....
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2017, 05:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick\shift View Post
Am I reading correctly that you are intending to attach something to the house? Sorry, was not clear to me....
Yes. Permanently tied to the house but not load bearing nor load imparting.

Ideally this cabinet/bar bottom and back would be as water and bug tight as possible.

The photo shows the board and batten on the right and above the patio deck/slab interface. It has been removed and a temporary tyvek sheet covers the sheathing to the left. It stands 3/4" proud of the house slab vertical face.

Tying the cabinet sill to to the house sill will leave a 3/4 " gap behind the cabinet sill.

If i raise the new sill (with legs) to match up to the house sill, I will leave an air space below the cabinet bottom. Its hot and humid here. It rained 1.5 inches in the last 24 hours. Not sure airflow would be sufficient to ward off nastiness using this technique.

Last edited by uncommonscents; 06-19-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2017, 05:12 PM   #4

Old 06-21-2017, 10:45 AM   #5

I have decided to elevate the cabinets sill plate to mate with the house sill plate. I'm going to lap joint the cabinet side plates and silicone seal them to the concrete patio' vertical and horizontal surfaces. The new cabinet-to-house plate will rest on this. That should keep it watertight.

Thanks for letting me think outloud.

Pic shows the cabinet sill plate resting on deck and against the sheathing. It also shows the side sill plate tucked underneath the sheathing overhang. The lap joint will hold the cabinet sill plate above the deck and at house sill plate level.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement