Pantry Ideas? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2014, 02:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 202

pantry ideas?

Our pantry is about 32" wide by 30" deep with a 30" door. And it works fine, but 30" deep shelves for things like canned goods leave a little bit to be desired. So I have a number of thoughts floating around in my noggin, but the way that I seem to be leaning is fixed shelves on the back wall, maybe 10-12" deep for "slow moving" goods, and a portable unit in front of it, say 30" wide by 20" deep, that could be rolled out, into the hall, for access on all sides, or to get to the shelves in the back. I don't think that this is even close to a unique idea, and in fact am sure that I have seen similar configurations, but can't think of where they may have been, so wondering if anyone has or has dealt with something like this, and what your opinions may be.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2014, 02:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,652

That actually sounds like a good idea except I would make the rolling cart square and not have a rear shelf. That would make it more stable.
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2014, 02:21 PM   #3

Maybe a couple of small side shelves above door height to use that space.
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2014, 02:29 PM   #4

Hey, you're pretty quick! And thank you. Square and more stable was my initial thought as well, so that my be the way that it ends up, but another factor is the weight, and I intend to weigh the content of one of the shelves in order to get an idea of how much there may be in total, so I got to thinking that I could effectively reduce the movable weight by maintaining a portion of the fixed shelves. There is about 6" on either side of the door opening that I thought could be filled with shelves, and we keep a stool right in that vicinity for the kitchen anyway, so going on up above the door would be good.

Last edited by DexterII; 09-16-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:37 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 144

Check out Amerock and Rev-a Shelf hardware for pantry stuff.I have one about the same size but the shelves in the back are around 12" deep,the double doors in front have shelfs and holders on them and there is an interior set of doors that swing out with holders for cangoods on either side. A huge amount of storage area in a small space.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:42 PM   #6

What is the floor? If it is carpet rolling will prove very difficult. If it is hard then size your wheels for the load. I would go 4" or bigger.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:49 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 6,652

DexterII, you are in the same boat that I am. We have a closet that is 2'x2'. I have batted around a few ideas in my head how to make it more effective in storing goods in it, so that I could make better use of it.

My biggest thing that I need to get done, is lighting in there, so you can see better inside. Since the only light comes from the Hallway light in front of that closet.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:59 PM   #8

Thank you for the names, Mako; will definitely check them out. This is in the part of the house with the utility room, PC, so on a slab, and I put 8" tile in this part, so should be good as far as rolling. Greg, I switched all of our closet, attic, and crawl lights to round CFL's over the past couple of years, and I think that you would like one of them in there. Not all that attractive to hang in an open area, but low heat, don't blind you if you happen to look toward them, etc., and all of ours are on wall switches, but they make them with a pull string too, so shouldn't be much of a job to just pull power over to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement