Outdoor Remodel - Front Door/garage/shutter Ideas - HELP! - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-05-2017, 08:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Outdoor remodel - front door/garage/shutter ideas - HELP!

Please help! I'm awful at this stuff. We moved into our house 10 years ago, and we've always been known as the house on the street with the red garage door. After awhile you just stop seeing how things look. We're getting new windows installed this spring, and a new door. While we're doing some work, we are looking at switching it up. Maybe we don't have to be the "red house" anymore. I don't hate red, but maybe it's time for a change. What do you guys think?? Different colour door? I always love houses that have front doors that really "pop" but not sure what that would be for us, and my husband is the opposite, he's leaning towards a dark grey/black front door. What about the garage/shingles? What would you guys do if this was your house??? Definitely needs an update.
Attached Thumbnails
Outdoor remodel - front door/garage/shutter ideas - HELP!-1910428_8659050716_1636_n.jpg  
kasey_ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2017, 08:39 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 6,746

Re: Outdoor remodel - front door/garage/shutter ideas - HELP!

Most paint companies have "paint visualizers" on their websites. You can upload a picture of your home then play with different color schemes to get an idea of what you might like. Also, many paint stores have color consultants that will come to your home for a small fee and assist you with color selections. I tell many of my customers that are struggling to pick out colors to visit other local neighborhoods and look for similar houses with a color scheme that catches their eye.
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2017, 08:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,744

The front door to the house in red is fine, the red shutters are ok, but the garage door has to go. You should go over it in a primer first because the red will be hard to cover. I'd paint the garage door a color out of the bricks, and then paint what is white on the top floor of the house and the front of the garage a beigey/sand color. Leave the railings and gutters white.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2017, 12:07 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 426

Traditionally all "moving parts" would be the same color. Window sashes, shutters and doors. Then you would have a main body color and finally a trim color. Having the garage door match the other parts (IMHO) should be maintained no matter what the color. Also Red is a very traditional color for doors, I personally like it.

People seem to be getting away from this to some extent because of all the pure white vinyl windows. I am a lover of color, but not everyone is.
KC_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:46 PM   #5
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,004

We are in the process of doing something similar (we are 'the blue house'), but will be keeping the garage door and shutters the same colour (we are also changing the colour of our eavestroughs/facia). Out front door will apparently be a ruby red.

On my monitor your red comes through as a wine or mahogany red and I actually don't mind it but, as you say, it may be time for an update.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement