Options For Trim On Basement Stairway? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-10-2016, 07:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 144

Options for trim on basement stairway?

I have a finished basement with a finished basement stairway. The tread on my basement stairway was rather shallow. I decieded to remove the carpet. Former owners added additional risers on top of the original risers. I assume to make the carpeting job easier but who knows. I removed the additional risers.

Removal of the carpet and additional risers gave me significantly more depth on the stairs. I want to paint instead of re-carpet. Not only to get the additional tread depth but to save on wear and tear on the carpet (there is Pergo at the foot and top of the stairs, which doesn't make sense that they carpeted).

The problem is that the space between the stairs and walls were never trimmed and there are significant gaps between the walls and the stairs.

My skills with molding are pretty limited. I have done some rooms but never the right way where a coping saw is used to fit the corners just a basic miter an a bit of caulk.

There is almost nothing consistent about the dimensions of these stairs. Treads are different depths, nose are different lengths and nothing is plumb. They are basement stairs after all.

I think it is going to be a big job (especially since each stair has a nose) to mold it with wood base molding.

Do I have any other others other than carpeting again? It does not need to be perfect they are just basement stairs and already rough.
spinnaker15136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2016, 07:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,890

Re: Options for trim on basement stairway?

They still have to meet modern codes.
Got a picture of what you have now?
No skirt board?
http://www.centurygrp.com/Images/Int...eadsrisers.pdf
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2016, 08:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
They still have to meet modern codes.
Got a picture of what you have now?
No skirt board?
http://www.centurygrp.com/Images/Int...eadsrisers.pdf

No there is no skirt board. When they finished the basement they probably should have rebuilt the stairs but they did not. They used the original basement stairs. Simple threads and risers set on stringers

House was build in the 50s long before modern codes. My township does not require an occupancy permit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2016, 08:41 PM   #4

What would it cost for a contractor to cut new skirts given the inconsistent dimensions of the stairway?

Can it even be done without ripping pout the treads? Taking out the treads might be near impossible without tearing out the walls as the stringers are inset into the walls.

Last edited by spinnaker15136; 10-10-2016 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:58 PM   #5

Wall installed over top stingers.

http://www.diychatroom.com/attachmen...1&d=1476151073
Attached Thumbnails
Options for trim on basement stairway?-stairs.jpg  
Old 10-10-2016, 10:09 PM   #6
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,638

If that were my residence, I would rebuild it right, no matter the cost.

Because one person missing one of the irregular rises / step depths, and you have a LARGE medical bill on your shoulders.

And I would not want to be responsible for injuring anyone else.

As stated code requires all risers to be within a small difference if at all, as well as all tread depths should be the same. As someone that has tripped on steps due to my own carelessness, I will say that it ain't fun at all.

As for cost no one here knows what contractors charge wherever you are, nor the going rates for building materials.

That is your area, call a few builders to see.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:19 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,490

Measure the riser height of the top and bottom most, then measure all other risers. What are the variations? I believe the tolerated difference is no more than 3/8". Feet have memory and a stranger in the house may not anticipate the difference and possibly stumble.
My parents were sued by a cop who went over the backyard to investigate the neighbor and claimed he injured his knees. His wife co-sued for lost affections.
I found a social networking site where he discussed his surgeries long before he ever set foot on the property. Knowing the property, I had high confidence, but the property insurance handled it. The SOB was disavowed by the town lawyer as well.
My point is you should be aware of what is in your house and it is just good idea to follow the rules.

I would glue/nail back the loose riser plate in the photo. Paint it and if your skill level is low, use square 1x1 trim to cover the edge.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:23 PM   #8

The riser height is actually pretty consistent. The problem is the tread depth. This mostly seems to be with the way they mounted the riser to the stringer. Sometimes from the back, sometimes from the front.

That plate you see is just to cover a chipped up riser that has yet to be mounted.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:58 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,490

Treads can be extended, although rules may say one piece. For example, split nosing is repaired with nail, screws etc, and inspectors don't say a peep. Add up to 1 1/2" and use predrilled holes in center with 3/32 or 1/4" lag screws or wood screws, don't recess too much, use washers and tighten gently to not crush the wood-soap on screws helps. Go in 2" into the existing tread. You have 2x4 treads so framing is easier.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement