Old Tub With No Lip Around The Edge - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2015, 07:34 PM   #1
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 1,974

old tub with no lip around the edge

I am repairing a long term water leak no body told me about. The tub is probably from 1920, and has no lip around the edge. I do not want to bring the fiberglass enclosure down to the tub and caulk because water will get in. Do i need to tear out the tub?
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2015, 08:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 572

Yes, tear it out.
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2015, 09:34 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 748

Replacing the tub might be in order, but I think we need more info and perhaps some pics to confirm. I'd wanna make sure there's no simply fix before ripping out a tub that is 90 years old. You're liable to get into a lot more work than planned.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2015, 12:23 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,458

If the sheathing on the wall is not touching the tub, there's no reason to replace the tub thinking the flange is absolute.
If replacing the sheathing, use cement/composite board and stay 1/4" off the tub. Make sure the tub is clean. Tape off and fill 1/4" with OSI quad. You will need ventilation for about 1/2 a day for the smell from this caulk. Tape off at least 3" on wall and tub so you can really press the caulk in without having to worry about the squeeze out. You may have to pre-install blocking, tape, can foam-whatever, so the caulk doesn't just fall through. There are other caulks, but OSI is one I used and observed for adhesion. You want to smear/press the caulk on the surfaces so that it has adhesion.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement