NYC Budget Basement Gut Out Remolding - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nealtw

Old 08-02-2017, 06:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 32

NYC budget basement gut out remolding

Hi everyone.

Just surfing the web and found this forum.

I will be gutting out my basement and fixing it up from scratch. All work will be done by myself and relatives. Demolition will begin in two week by myself and friends. Basement will be used as a living space/Rental/Airbnb. I Believe my SF is about 900. I am planning to put two bedrooms, 3/4 bathroom(shower,sink and toilet.), kitchen/laundry room , storage and living room.

I am a total noob and have been using Edde Case Basement University(https://eddie-case.mykajabi.com/store/ZNDvAVqL). so far he has been helpful.

Here are some problems I am having so far.

I am having a problem creating a floor plan. I have Been using this website for help http://www.houseplanshelper.com/.

Eddie Case training are based in PA and I am located in NYC somethings are not doable here in NYC.

I am looking for design help(interior, floor plan). Open Modern Minimalist basement design.

NYC basement regulations and any information or directions to additional websites for more information.

Also, i am using chief Architect to design. my SF isn't accurate because the old living space in the basement is still there. Haven't broken down the basement yet.

I am willing to document the whole project.
This is a rough draft of my current basement before demolition. http://imgur.com/zEWXOHQ

[IMG][/IMG]

Measurements are little off but that is pretty much the layout.

Any information would be great. If i can i want to do all the work by myself. I am really looking forward to this project.

Thanks in advance.
Dennis Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2017, 08:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,826

Re: NYC budget basement gut out remolding

Always start at the beginning by talking with your local planning department. Don't assume the existing finished basement was approved with all inspections and permits as moving forward can hit a sudden stop if not on the right track. If your permit process requires engineered drawings then an architect might be appropriate for the questions you are asking, they can generate those drawings.

As for NYC I've only watched the programs and never worked there, but I suspect, as you do, there will be some strict requirements. Some work may require a licensed contractor and this is the busy season so finding one to work for a DIY general contractor may be a challenge.

Bud
Bud9051 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud9051 For This Useful Post:
Dennis Brown (08-02-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2017, 08:10 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,838

All bedroom have to have an egress window of a certain size and a closet.

Budget killers are leaky walls leaky plumbing, rot and other framing problems,
Location of plumbing for bathrooms. Old plumbing and wiring can be a problem.
chandler48 likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
Dennis Brown (08-02-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2017, 09:58 PM   #4

i will have plumbers and electricians. i know about the code for windows. thats why i might just do 2 bedrooms. one master and one guest.

Thanks
Old 08-02-2017, 10:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
Always start at the beginning by talking with your local planning department. Don't assume the existing finished basement was approved with all inspections and permits as moving forward can hit a sudden stop if not on the right track. If your permit process requires engineered drawings then an architect might be appropriate for the questions you are asking, they can generate those drawings.

As for NYC I've only watched the programs and never worked there, but I suspect, as you do, there will be some strict requirements. Some work may require a licensed contractor and this is the busy season so finding one to work for a DIY general contractor may be a challenge.

Bud
Thanks i appreciate it.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:45 AM   #6
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,684

Your plans don't show but one window as Neal pointed out. No windows, no bedrooms for the other two. So be careful how you present it to the permit department.
The Following User Says Thank You to chandler48 For This Useful Post:
Dennis Brown (08-03-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
basement remodeling , basement renovation , nyc