Next Step Of Demo? W/ Link - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-16-2015, 11:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

next step of demo? w/ link

hello everyone

11W X 22L building. used to have electricity, wood stove and was water tight. wood stove was stolen chimney feel down, electric wire was dug up/eaten by mower. this is how the bldg was when we moved in >2 yrs ago.

now, ive emptied it out (was storage) and have decided to make it my studio/garage w/ electric, heat stove and water (gravity fed from via, only for washing/watering).

since the chimney fell the water has seeped in under the roof and into the ceiling causing huge spot of mold....huge. what should my next step be? its middle of winter here, not too much snow for the area, and i have a hard time sitting still

ill post a short video of the area...its says i need one post before i can post a link so stay tuned.

thank you all in advance for any help
hanuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2015, 11:44 AM   #2

love any tips/advice/other things you think i may know but probably do not.

it will not let me upload the video or share the link from dropbox....i only have the 1 photo but it pretty clearly shows what im describing

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
next step of demo? w/ link-20150114_164450.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2015, 12:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 144

The building needs to be dried in and the roof fixed before going any further.Makes no sence to do any work inside of a leaky structure.
If you can't work outside due to weather I would demo that drop ceiling so you could get a better idea of what is going on with the roof.

Last edited by mako1; 01-16-2015 at 12:28 PM.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (01-16-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2015, 06:50 PM   #4

great. thank you.

i think it is just leaking in from the area where the chimney was....coming down the roof, under the roof and in the structure.

ill see what i can do with it tomorrow and post back. looks like it will be a high of 32 tmmrw, heat wave.

thanks again.
The Following User Says Thank You to hanuman For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (01-16-2015)
Old 01-18-2015, 06:43 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,432

1. remove the ceiling and check the rafters. Make sure the framing is sound for walking on.
2. 1/4" ply, tar paper and can of roofing cement, if you can't make proper repairs for now. Cover the hole, and if you are familiar with shingles, cement on sides and paper for flashing - sliding under upper shingles. Very temp and working solution.

The wall parts are probably water damaged also.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 05:47 PM   #6

progress so far - tore down all ceiling that didnt have mold. waiting for a set of coveralls for the rest. structure looks sound, far as i can tell. here are some photos

outside roof area where i believe the problem stems from

and

thoughts, comments, concerns? want this place to be livable come late spring

thanks
Old 01-20-2015, 02:07 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 324

That chimney hole appears to be mostly outside the wall line--you have some ridge caps missing, that will let in water. Also, those shingles are due for replacement.
mgp roofing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:47 AM   #8

did some more demo on the inside. seems like most of it was animal related. but there is quite a bit of water that comes in. we have had rain hard here for almost a week.

a raccoon fell from the ceiling as we (wife and i) were pulling down the tiles. he just looked at us and waltzed out.

the section to the Right by the window (where the old cast iron stove used to be)what you cant see is a huge pile of organic matter. squirrell was living in there for god knows how long. caused all the rot to that wall.

i believe my next steps are to finish clearing out the inside and to buy a nail gun and re shingle the roof. i really wanted to use tin, but cant afford it at the moment. but there are about 10 bags of shingles on the property that were just left from an old job i assume.

what do you all think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement