New Window Install On Existing Stucco Home - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-24-2016, 12:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 58

New window install on existing stucco home

So I have my windows put in but my question is on my exterior trim options. I purchased 1x6 engineered wood trim and have cut the stucco around the opening for the trim to fit. The problem is that when I test fit, my trim is sitting below the level of the stucco and not flush with the stucco. I'd like my trim flush or even a little proud of the stucco. Can I build the trim up behind it to bring it to where I want it? How would I go about that?
The other issue is after the trim is installed how do I patch the gap between trim and stucco?
Attached Thumbnails
New window install on existing stucco home-1464112498245.jpg  
saxsquad29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2016, 08:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,746

Re: New window install on existing stucco home

Is the engineered wood trim approved for outdoor use? Generally you can shim under the window trim to bring it up to the level you need, and flat so it doesn't rock on the window flange. Any time I am cutting up cedar or PVC for any use I keep all the trimmings to use for shims. If you need less, you can use multiple layers of sticky flashing.

Spaces between the trim and siding, and trim and window should be caulked with good quality paintable caulk. You should also be putting metal flashing at the top and bottom when appropriate.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2016, 05:21 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 58

Do you glue or nail the shims? I would think you would want to minimize the amount of nail holes going through your flashing/house wrap
saxsquad29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2016, 04:15 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,746

If you can get by with a dab or caulk or construction adhesive to hold your shim, do so. You may find you need more shim outboard of the window mounting flange to keep the trim from rocking.

By the way, are you putting a strip of self-adhesive flashing over the window mounting flange on three sides? That would serve to seal the nail heads from mounting the windows, keep the nailholes from the trim from leaking, and in your case gives you 1/16" or so. I would still use metal flashing top and bottom as well.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement