New Floors Out Of Plywood ??? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2014, 02:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

New floors out of plywood ???

I have a 1984 mobile double wide home that is about 900 square feet. The house is pretty solid and well built. But I want wood floors and I am on a very limited budget. I read in a magazine about using 3/4 plywood cut into planks and laid as wood flooring the stained with poly over the top. I would like your advice on this. I figure for the kitchen, hall, bath, and living room it would cost around $400.00 or so. I like the old rustic farmhouse look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jjgrask is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2014, 07:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,134

Anything can work.
What it did it say about T&G ( tongue and grove) If not, your either going to use a lot of nails/putty or a lot of glue.?

Have a look here and check out there prices. Even their Bamboo flooring is selling for just $1.69 SF.. That works out to be about $54 for the same area as 1 sheet of plywood.

http://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll/...6C15C=25255580

http://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll/...Nov19_Laminate

No I don't own the company or work there.....

Last edited by ron45; 11-25-2014 at 07:23 PM.
ron45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2014, 07:55 PM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 4,122

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgrask View Post
I read in a magazine about using 3/4 plywood cut into planks and laid as wood flooring the stained with poly over the top.
Would that be A/C Pine? Birch veneer? Maybe Oak Veneer?

Quote:
I figure for the kitchen, hall, bath, and living room...
For the Kitch & Bath I'd have to suggest something else as a finish surface.
It's hard to beat vinyl sheet for basic/cheap wet area floor.

Well, except for maybe a tinted epoxy.
http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/small-...stions-210043/
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2014, 08:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron45 View Post
Anything can work.
What it did it say about T&G ( tongue and grove) If not, your either going to use a lot of nails/putty or a lot of glue.?

Have a look here and check out there prices. Even their Bamboo flooring is selling for just $1.69 SF.. That works out to be about $54 for the same area as 1 sheet of plywood.

http://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll/...6C15C=25255580

http://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll/...Nov19_Laminate

No I don't own the company or work there.....

Thank you got the answer back. I have bamboo in the bath now and loved it until a pipe sprung a leak. Bubbled up the finish and looks ugly. Only 1/2 of the floor got wet and the swelling is buckling the other side. I want a very rustic floor look so nails won't be a problem showing. Probably use glue also. I like the yellow pine. I know I can sand and refinish the plywood if something happens. The bamboo now has to be pulled up and replaced.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
Would that be A/C Pine? Birch veneer? Maybe Oak Veneer?

For the Kitch & Bath I'd have to suggest something else as a finish surface.
It's hard to beat vinyl sheet for basic/cheap wet area floor.

Well, except for maybe a tinted epoxy.
http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/small-...stions-210043/

It is just hubby and me do wet floors are not a problem. I appreciate the concern but I have my heart set on wood of some kind. But thank you anyway

Old 11-26-2014, 06:32 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 4,134

Some high schools have wood and auto shops, and they take on projects. They don't charge much and it gives the students experience. We had both in the high school I went to. It wouldn't hurt to see if they would rip the plywood and T&G it for you.

By the way, I like your bike, what year is it.
I have a 2007 Low Rider.

Last edited by ron45; 11-26-2014 at 06:50 PM.
ron45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron45 View Post
Some high schools have wood and auto shops, and they take on projects. They don't charge much and it gives the students experience. We had both in the high school I went to. It wouldn't hurt to see if they would rip the plywood and T&G it for you.

By the way, I like your bike, what year is it.
I have a 2007 Low Rider.

Home Depot said they will rip the boards for free. We have a truck to haul them and a barn to keep them in until we use them all. Just have to pry up the old laminate floors and start laying them. I was thinking of using a putty knife as a spacer between the boards. I have 1/2 inch plywood subfloor under lam tile. Hope it works.
It's a 2011 Ultra Classic and my baby. Hubby rides a 2006 Road King on it's 2nd motor. We may be old but love our life.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:47 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 164

I'm confused why you'd spend more on plywood, than just buying actual flooring.
ryan50hrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan50hrl View Post
I'm confused why you'd spend more on plywood, than just buying actual flooring.

I am looking for a rustic vintage look for a farm house. Eventually the inside and out will look like a old farm house with barn wood siding with a tin roof and a large porch. I have started my gardens and looking into making everything we use. I have used slate and stone in the bathroom and kitchen. Handmade cabinets and open shelving. My sinks are galvanized tubs with working plumbing. My ideas are a bit strange. I admit it. No, I am not a prepper or anything. But I want to be able to use modern things but look like 100 years ago. I really wanted a log cabin with dirt floors like my great grandmother lived in but hubby shouted no.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:04 PM   #10
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 9,252

The big issue you will have is that without the T&G on the edges, it will not stay flat and level AND you edges will splinter.

Now....lets talk budget.

A good sheet of plywood is around $35-40.

A 4x8 sheet of plywood is 32 sq ft.

There are some pretty good deals out there on budget laminate flooring. I did my sons with some and the cost was around $0.89 sq foot. That works out to about $29 for the same area as a 4x8 sheet of plywood.

Now....one would assume you would want to do a floating floor so you would also need the underlayment. That is going to cost you about another $0.50-0.90 per sq ft. But, then again, you would also need something under the plywood.

And, with the plywood you would have the cost of the Poly, not to mention the cost of nails or glue....and don't forget the enormous labor.

At at the end of the day, plywood strips would look like crap compared to other options.

So.....total cost + labor....budget laminate wins hands down....and looks a whole lot better.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:04 PM   #11

So do utility grade oak or maple flooring....it's cheap, it's going to look like hardwood would have decades ago. Plywood isn't going to look like hardwood of old, or hold up. the problem with plywood is it's layers are very thin, and not particularly well glued today. The edges and corners will very quickly break down and splinter. You'd be much much better served by purchasing something like this....

http://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll/...a-WP8/10012596

Or

http://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll/...-OA2U/10008112

Or

http://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll/...-MA2U/10008939
Old 11-26-2014, 09:05 PM   #12
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 9,252

Too many horror stories about lumber liquidators.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:06 PM   #13

The options I posted are solid 3/4 inch hardwood (or pine for that one).....and at 99 cents a square foot they're cheaper than plywood....also you mentioned earlier about refinishing if needed. You will not be able to refinish plywood floors as the top most layer (veneer) is very very thin...like 1/16th inch or less. the second you sand through that you're down to garbage wood full of holes and splinters.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:07 PM   #14

Would I put in lumber liquidators if I wanted top notch flooring....no....but for utility grade flooring that's a replacement for plywood floors....any day of the week!!
Old 11-27-2014, 01:34 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 72

Hello. I'm a fan of rustic/ vintage themed houses too. But I guess plywood won't be a good choice. I'd prefer vinyl or hardwood for floors & stairs since they're sturdy.
emmyshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement