New Exterior Door Install - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2018, 10:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 99

I’d like to add an exterior door to our garage. Theres a couple things I’m not sure about thought..

How do I deal with the flashing along the bottom of the wall when installing the sill? Should I cut it out first? (See pic).

I’ve done a lot of interior remodeling but have little experience with exterior (siding and flashing). What would be the preferred method for installing against the siding? Should I cut a straight edge and try to butt it up against the side of the new door frame or get a door that lays overtop of the siding?

Does the siding have to be removed in order to install flashing or is there another way?

The door will be going between the windows. Sorry for the clutter, I javent cleared out the area yet.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
New exterior door install-139b64d5-6669-45ba-a902-6bb792c29b69_1524929997101.jpg   New exterior door install-509d55fa-11b3-42d7-8e7b-5e5b5c038b3f_1524930020716.jpg   New exterior door install-f9e0ba28-7b6c-4741-a090-88ae60afbb5f_1524930069961.jpg   New exterior door install-a1d76e6b-b43e-4ae3-b15f-b6df0852866e_1524930119934.jpg  

Last edited by Maine1; 04-28-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Maine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2018, 02:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 944

Re: New exterior door install

If you can leave the flashing and set your door on top of it, that would be fine. But you could cut it too.

Easiest way is to cut the siding back enough to allow you to add trim around the door. Using something like a 1x4 or 2x4 will allow you to adjust the width a bit if you need to. Screw a straight edge saw guide on the siding to get a nice cut. You can tuck some flat aluminum flashing behind the cut edge of the siding to prevent water from getting back to the sheathing, though I suppose a lot of guys would just rely on caulk there. Above the door, you should go to the lumber yard and get a chunk of z flashing which ideally will get tucked behind the siding (or house wrap if any) to bring the water out over the trim.
Marson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2018, 03:05 PM   #3
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 50

The flashing should be cut so the door sits even with your garage floor. Your gonna need to cut the concrete block also.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2018, 03:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 17,890

Someone messed up by the looks of it when building that wall.
It should have been even with the foundation.
If I was doing it I'd make my own sill pan with coil stock and lay it right over what's there making sure to bend it up on the inside at the back of the threshold and up on the sides to keep water from coming in.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightten View Post
The flashing should be cut so the door sits even with your garage floor. Your gonna need to cut the concrete block also.
Can you elaborate on “cut the concrete block”? Im pretty sure it’s poured concete
Old 04-28-2018, 08:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marson View Post
If you can leave the flashing and set your door on top of it, that would be fine. But you could cut it too.

Easiest way is to cut the siding back enough to allow you to add trim around the door. Using something like a 1x4 or 2x4 will allow you to adjust the width a bit if you need to. Screw a straight edge saw guide on the siding to get a nice cut. You can tuck some flat aluminum flashing behind the cut edge of the siding to prevent water from getting back to the sheathing, though I suppose a lot of guys would just rely on caulk there. Above the door, you should go to the lumber yard and get a chunk of z flashing which ideally will get tucked behind the siding (or house wrap if any) to bring the water out over the trim.
Thanks dor the advice!

When you say “cut the siding back” do you mean just the siding or both the siding and the pluwood below it?

I was thinking about framing the door first, then drilling holes from the inside to mark each corner of the framing. Then using these markers to draw a straight edge line on the outside of the siding for the cut.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:36 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,406

It looks to me like a monolithic foundation wall/floor pour. No cutting out the floor for the door to sit in is necessary IMO. One gets used to stepping up and over a exterior door threshold quickly.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:37 PM   #8
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine1 View Post
Can you elaborate on “cut the concrete block”? Im pretty sure it’s poured concete
From the picture, it looked to me like the concrete wall is a bit higher than the concrete floor. If that is the case, you would need to cut that portion of the wall to allow the door to rest on the floor.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 09:12 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 944

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine1 View Post
Thanks dor the advice!

When you say “cut the siding back” do you mean just the siding or both the siding and the pluwood below it?

I was thinking about framing the door first, then drilling holes from the inside to mark each corner of the framing. Then using these markers to draw a straight edge line on the outside of the siding for the cut.
No, leave the sheathing intact. That should be nailed to your new framing around your new door hole.

I would first cut the hole the size of the rough opening through both the plywood and the siding, and then go back and cut just the siding back enough so you can get a piece of trim installed between the siding and the door.
Marson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement