New Countertop Doesn't Allow Installing Drawerfronts - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2015, 08:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 66

New Countertop doesn't allow installing drawerfronts

During a condo kitchen remodeling, there was lack of coordination between cabinet installer and countertop fabricator. The quartz countertop was installed before the drawer fronts. They are pointing fingers at each other and at the cabinet manufacturer for not specifying a 3/4" plywood above cabinets.
As the attached pictures show, the drawerfront doesn't have enough clearance below the countertop bulnose to fit.
These are glossy white thermofoil covered drawer fronts.

I'm thinking my options (from least expensive to most) are:
1) Find a source for custom-made drawer front that is 1/8 shorter on top. I'm having difficulty finding a source in North America.
2) Install the drawer and cabinet fronts 1/8 lower. This means installing cabinets doors lower as well. Would appear abnormal and not uniform to other cabinets.
3) Cut bullnose 1/8 shorter in height. Would appear shorter than the other side.
4) Remove bullnose, use magnetic sensor to locate all screws, Cut screws with a rotary tool and then lift the countertop 1/8".
5) Remove quartz backsplash, remove quartz countertop, remove old plywood, install new plywood, fabricate and install new countertop.

Any better ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
New Countertop doesn't allow installing drawerfronts-drawerfront2.jpg   New Countertop doesn't allow installing drawerfronts-drawerfront.jpg   New Countertop doesn't allow installing drawerfronts-drawer-front.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Drawer front.pdf (62.2 KB, 70 views)
rmk9785e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rmk9785e For This Useful Post:
more1best-homes (01-31-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2015, 09:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 996

cut some of the top off, refinish it. then flip it over and install it. done
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2015, 09:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
cut some of the top off, refinish it. then flip it over and install it. done
I wish it was that easy. The thermofoil wraps around front to all sides except the back. cutting any of it will remove the thermofoil and I am not aware of any way of refinishing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2015, 09:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 582

as the customer..tell the two to get it right ..thats what your paying for..I would just let them fix it.. if you say you will hold final check i bet it will get done..
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
as the customer..tell the two to get it right ..thats what your paying for..I would just let them fix it.. if you say you will hold final check i bet it will get done..
You're very right but here's the problem. This is just one of many blunders they made before I had to fire them because they're not capable of fixing these. Now it is my problem and I am looking for the best solution that can be made to work. Of course, I know I'm responsible for picking the wrong contractor and I'll have to bear the costs.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:12 PM   #6

seen this once before ...remove drawer see if you can lower roller guides just enough to clear top ...
Old 01-13-2015, 10:12 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmk9785e View Post
I wish it was that easy. The thermofoil wraps around front to all sides except the back. cutting any of it will remove the thermofoil and I am not aware of any way of refinishing it.
i have never delt with thermofoil. so, are you saying that it cannot be cut cleanly ? my point was, the cut on the bottom would not be seen (unless your wife knocks your arse out, you fall on the floor. then look up at the bottom of the drawer ) and some white paint could touch it up.

otherwise. have new fronts made.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
...are you saying that it cannot be cut cleanly ?

otherwise have new fronts made.
Not sure if it can be cut cleanly. It is a very thin layer of foil over the MDF base. It would be seen in the front because of the edge is eased and the cut thermofoil may separate from the base.

I'd love to find a source where I can have a new one made. Already checked with the manufacturer where I bought my cabinets and learned it is made in China and they don't do custom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben's Plumbing
remove drawer see if you can lower roller guides just enough to clear top ...
Another good option. There clearance between the drawer front and cabinet doors is only about 1/8" which may require lowering the cabinet doors as well, running into the same problem as my original option #2.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:21 PM   #9
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 1,476

The only thing left is raise the top.

Lawyers believe a man is innocent until proven broke.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (01-21-2015), oh'mike (01-14-2015)
Old 01-13-2015, 11:24 PM   #10
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,020

Given you have no recourse on the silestone installer, I'm with Fixnit.

(I think you probably understand allready that granite/surface installers should template and install after cabinets are set, and would consequently be responsible)

Get on the internet and order 1/8 smaller drawer fronts.... plenty of custom suppliers....
Old 01-14-2015, 07:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmk9785e View Post
Not sure if it can be cut cleanly. It is a very thin layer of foil over the MDF base. It would be seen in the front because of the edge is eased and the cut thermofoil may separate from the base.

I'd love to find a source where I can have a new one made. Already checked with the manufacturer where I bought my cabinets and learned it is made in China and they don't do custom.

Another good option. There clearance between the drawer front and cabinet doors is only about 1/8" which may require lowering the cabinet doors as well, running into the same problem as my original option #2.
raising and lowering of cabinet doors ....very easy they are designed to do that for adjustments purposes if you can lower the roller guides droping the lower door is simple...no major work on drawer fronts...
Old 01-14-2015, 08:42 AM   #12
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,020

RMK.... Curious.... If you had had a 3/4 plywood base for the silestone, would not it have shown (at least from a distance) with your close tolerances and especially against thermofoil white?

I think your solid surface installer just made your lip edging too big?????

(When you have 4 cm built up granite edging, you can get the same issue, and surface installers will switch you to either 2 or 3 cm no edge build granite)
Old 01-14-2015, 10:48 AM   #13
Knows Enough to be Danger

Rewards Points: 1,203

How many drawers are we talking and how long a countertop?

Could you remove the drawer front and reinstall a hair lower? Or would that mess up the cabinet doors below? If you had a lot of drawers this wouldn't be fun.

If you have a small countertop I'd remove it, shim, and reinstall. Maybe that wouldn't be much fun with that backsplash.
NickTheGreat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC View Post

Get on the internet and order 1/8 smaller drawer fronts.... plenty of custom suppliers....
Been on the internet but can't find any custom suppliers. Searched for 'custom thermofoil doors'. Are there any specific keywords I should use in my search?
Old 01-14-2015, 03:08 PM   #15
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

It all seems like a dumb-asss rookie mistake.

Could you run a router along the bottom edge of the counter top shaving off 3/16" or so? This would clear the drawers would it not?

I don't understand why the entire top can't be raised 1/4" or so.
Advertisement