Need Some Wood Stove Advice - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2015, 08:07 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 93

Need some wood stove advice

Hi,

We live in Montreal, Canada. We would like to install a wood stove in our house. In Montreal, law says we can only install high efficiency B415 models.

What do you recommend?
What about chimney? Cost? Does it have to go up to roof? Exterior stainless model bolted to bricks?

Some say that pellet stoves don't have to go to roof for chimney? Do they work during power failure? Pellet auger/feeder is electric? Is the flame as nice? Pellets more expensive than wood?

What do you recommend?

Thanks!
Terry
tls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2015, 08:37 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,156

I am a 100% satisfied owner of a Woodstock Soapstone stove. It is many years old and I'm sure it doesn't meet the current standards, but I would recommend any stove from this company. They build them very well.

Not too far from you, across the border in New Hampshire.

http://www.woodstove.com/wood-stoves

Last edited by ZZZZZ; 01-17-2015 at 08:39 AM.
ZZZZZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2015, 09:35 AM   #3
Rob

Rewards Points: 826

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZZ View Post
I am a 100% satisfied owner of a Woodstock Soapstone stove. It is many years old and I'm sure it doesn't meet the current standards, but I would recommend any stove from this company. They build them very well.

Not too far from you, across the border in New Hampshire.

http://www.woodstove.com/wood-stoves
Those stoves are nice.
The chimneys can be expensive also. I think ours was over $1,000.
Robpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2015, 09:57 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,536

OSBURN makes some really great stoves. Made in Canada too. We have an older osburn at the cabin. Bought it 25 years ago. Still looks and acts brand new.

http://www.osburn-mfg.com/en/heaters/wood-stoves
Bob Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:20 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 54

I have a new Osburn 2000 insert. Works great. Checkout Hearth.com for a lot more info on stoves in general. One thing to consider; get enough wood to last you 2 seasons of burning. The new stoves don't like wet wood.
wetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:16 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,128

Quote:
Originally Posted by tls1 View Post
Some say that pellet stoves don't have to go to roof for chimney? Do they work during power failure? Pellet auger/feeder is electric? Is the flame as nice? Pellets more expensive than wood?

What do you recommend?

Thanks!
Terry
Imo, I would stick with your b415 model wood stove. May be a little more expensive to install, but will work during power outages. It's simple, the wood chunks are light weight, and you will have heat.

Wood pellet stoves/inserts may be cheaper to install, flame is nice, but they do not work during power outages unless hooked up to a back-up power source or generator to supply the 120 volt needed for operation.

A few other things to think about pellets stoves/inserts; Pellets can be more expensive as the winter season goes on if you're buying a few bags at a time. Cheaper to buy them by the ton if you have room to store them. They tend to run out of stock, that's why it's best to order them by the ton at the beginning of the season so you'll have enough to last through the winter. Around here they are about 225-300 dollars a ton depending on quality of pellets and when you buy them. The earlier you buy the better deals you'll find.

When storing them, do not get them wet, they turn to sawdust and will be useless. If you are elderly, they come in 40 pound bags that have to be lifted up and put into a hopper. Can burn up to three 40 pound bags a day, depending on your usage. Just some of my personal thoughts. However, on the other side, many people love them and they are very popular.

Last edited by jmon; 01-25-2015 at 10:24 PM.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:23 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,410

Woodstock is wonderful, but make sure whichever stove you get is okay with your building inspector--if you have a small to medium area to heat the fireview is a good stove; but if you want to put in their Progress Hybrid in Canada (a great stove), I think you'll need a building inspector and insurance company who are okay with UL rather than ULC certification. (It's safe but I don't think they paid the extra 50K for ULC testing.) Call Woodstock and ask; they're very responsive to questions.

Note you can get other stoves cheaper, but the stove won't be as nice and you'll have a hard time finding a better company.
Tom738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement