Need Help With Entertainment Center Redesign - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2018, 01:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Need Help with Entertainment center redesign

I own a 3 piece, wall to wall entertainment center.
Center cabinet surrounds a 55" rear projection TV.
2 identical side cabinets that nestle the center cabinet.

The 2 side cabinets are approx 5'x7'x2'
The center cabinets is approx 5'x8'x3'

I want to remove and redesign the center cabinet to accommodate a 65" to 70" flat screen TV. The cabinet frame and doors are white color, MDF boards.

The center cabinet starting from top down: cabinet area with 2 doors approx 5'x2'x3', small open area 5'x8"x3', large area for rear projection TV 5'x5'x3'.

I want information on how to start this project. Recommendations on free 3D modeling software to visualize the finished project.

Techniques and tools I would need to consider using.

An outline on the project flow from start to finish.
-How to remove cabinet without damage
-How to make cut and changes
-How to refinish to match existing structure.

Thank You.
JakeStrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2018, 02:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 7,202

Re: Need Help with Entertainment center redesign

Sounds a little like my 3 piece entertainment center. Originally it fit a 35" tube TV rather nicely. Then I got a 55" widescreen and I rebuilt the whole thing to fit the widescreen. The two side panels are the only thing that are original. Then, eventually, I got a new 55" widescreen, but by this time, they were more compact -- the new TV was about 8" shorter in height, so I made a riser that had a slide built in, so I could pull out the TV like a drawer and access the rear cable connections. A useful function because moving that thing to get to the back of the TV was real pain. You can see a few photos here:
https://www.diychatroom.com/f49/tv-c...update-232049/

You can try something like Sketch-Up if you really want 3D, but a pad of graph paper and a ruler are all that are necessary, and far, far faster.
I built mine out of MDF, and that was before I bought my table-saw, so that proves you don't need a bunch of fancy equipment (but a table saw sure would have helped).
You say your existing system is white, but that is not much of a description. If its white melamine, then build your new center also with white melamine, although that is typically particle board, not MDF. You will also need white edgebanding. If you want a glossy finish, you can cover the MDF with high pressure laminate -- Formica 459-90 would be their high gloss white. If its painted white, you really need a spray system to do a nice job.
As you progress with your design and fabrication, you can post on the Forum and get assistance from many that have done similar projects before. But you will need to get more specific with your questions.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2018, 07:15 PM   #3

Thank You for the detail! Please see my album for a pic of the entertainment center.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2018, 08:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 7,202

In my opinion, it would be a crazy amount of work to rebuild that. The most practical option would be to buy a TV that fits within the width of the existing structure. The size of a TV anyways is related to the depth of the room --- unless that is a room where you will be sitting more than 15 feet away, a 55" will be plenty big enough. Then you could either buy or build a stand to put in there. Casters on the stand would be helpful --- although if that is carpet, casters don't work very well on carpet.

That looks like paint. I think it would be difficult to match that finish. My opinion is to match the finish exactly, or keep it totally different.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 05:32 PM   #5

Here's is a graph design (ye old pencil and paper) of what I'm envisioning.
Perhaps you have some comments. Thanks.

The idea is swap the top cabinet and make it a bottom cabinet.
The 75" TV or smaller would hang above.

I like this design since I retain the cabinet area for audio equipment and
still take advantage of the opening for easy device access.

See my album for the graphics.

Last edited by JakeStrong; 01-01-2019 at 05:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
entertainment center , remodel