Need To Add Bathroom Somewhere? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2014, 12:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 298

Need to add Bathroom somewhere?

Hi
I am doing a full remodel basicly a rebuild of my house of last 5 years. I am getting to the end and want to install a 2nd bath. When I framed and finished Master I include a space for a small bathroom. But I didnt have money to finish it so I just drywalled it and am using it as WIC. I had planned on adding a closet across back wall of bedroom once bathroom fixtures were added. Now I dont want to loose that space. Will only have 11x13 master. So now Im back to planning.
Only thing I can think of is to add door into living room so I can loose hallway going to MBD. I really doing want to do this. I already insulated this wall for sound and I still hear tv a little. Plus it is a little weird.
I originally had master bedroom were living room is but living space was too small so I reworked layout.

I installed trusses so there is no load bearing interior walls. The bath that is done has electrical panel on end wall so i dont want to move that wall. I built one big bedroom for 2 little girls and when they got older I was going to wall up in between rooms. So there needs to be a door and closet would be nice. Anything else can be moved.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2014, 05:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,130

Sorry, can't help. But I've gotta say, that's one weird floor plan.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2014, 07:19 PM   #3

I like to call it unique. Thats what happens when you remodel one room at a time and change your mind a couple times along the way. It works though. Except the one bathroom part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2014, 07:33 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 808

Quote:
I had planned on adding a closet across back wall of bedroom once bathroom fixtures were added. Now I dont want to loose that space.
Where do you want to lose space?
IslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:38 PM   #5

laundry area. I would still need a spot for w/d
Old 03-03-2014, 08:03 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 396

Bottom middle, in the space that looks to be between the kitchen and second bedroom. You seem to have a closet bump out into the space so I'd just continue that and put a half bath next to it. (assuming you just want a half bath)
MLMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:16 PM   #7

That's the entry. The front door is actually bigger than shown its a double sidelite door so the 5' door takes up most of the 7.5' wide entry. So Not enough room. Thanks though.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:36 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 808

The current layout doesn't allow itself for the "addition" of one thing without losing another thing. If you bumped the master WIC and added a bath back to encompass the laundry area, there's no room for a laundry area elsewhere. Unless you can stack a washer/dryer somewhere in the kitchen. Also, utilizing the laundry area for bedroom bath or closet space eliminates the possibility of the 2nd access door to the kid's bedroom.
IslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:45 PM   #9

What do you think of adding door into living room eliminating hallway going to master. Is there really a way to sound proof a door and have it look normal ?
Old 03-04-2014, 07:21 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 3,130

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinK View Post
I like to call it unique. Thats what happens when you remodel one room at a time and change your mind a couple times along the way. It works though. Except the one bathroom part.
I get that. Our log house has a large loft area that is the master suite (bedroom, bathroom, walk-in closet) plus a tv room. No load-bearing walls. My wife changed the entire floor plan as we were building it.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement