My First Remodel - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By 00naomi00
  • 1 Post By 00naomi00
  • 2 Post By RRH

Old 01-10-2017, 05:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 22
Question

My First Remodel

I am doing my first ever remodel on the first home we've ever bought, while my husband is deployed to a foreign country. I have found a contractor I feel comfortable using, within a reasonable budget. Unfortunately, with that comes doing a lot of the work on my own. I am having to research and purchase all materials and can't say I even know where to start. The company is charging me $13.5K in labor to do the kitchen, master bath and built-ins around the fireplace. Is this a good price? Would anyone be willing to assist me at all as far as the best places to gain knowledge for materials? I'd be grateful for any help that anyone would be willing to give. Thank you!
00naomi00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2017, 05:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,104

Re: My First Remodel

By all means post specific questions here for us. Unfortunately, evaluating the price you've been given is not a specific question, as we do not know what was actually bid nor all of the multitude of variables which affect cost. As to evaluating contractors and their bids, best practice is to get three or more contractors to bid the job so you can compare.
stick\shift is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stick\shift For This Useful Post:
00naomi00 (01-10-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2017, 05:16 PM   #3

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick\shift View Post
By all means post specific questions here for us. Unfortunately, evaluating the price you've been given is not a specific question, as we do not know what was actually bid nor all of the multitude of variables which affect cost. As to evaluating contractors and their bids, best practice is to get three or more contractors to bid the job so you can compare.
Ok, understandable...I did manage to get three quotes and this bid was the one in the middle (not the cheapest and not the most expensive). My specific questions are, where do I start searching for materials? Where is a good place to buy plumbing fixtures? How do I know how much tile to price out? Where can I find reasonably priced tile? What is a good luxury vinyl product for a kitchen and bathroom? Where is a good place to find pulls/knobs for kitchen cabinetry? Should I take the free 18 gauge sink that comes with my countertop purchase? How do I price out glass for a shower surround? I have lots of questions. :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2017, 05:38 PM   #4
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,050

Maybe one question at a time......??

Ya know.... In general, a good place to start is probably the big box stores... walk around and see product with a notepad to get a feel for each product.

Then, I'd go on the internet and see what else you might find at a good priceing.

You can save alot, but it's work shopping.

Also, we don't know your local shopping options... whether you have numerous tile stores and appliance providers etc. Keep an eye out for real sales... and you know real sales if you've seen the product (similar product) at the Lowes and Home Depot big box stores.

Your contractor should give you an idea of timing.... make a list. You are probably saving alot by not having him/her haul product to you.
00naomi00 (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 05:43 PM   #5
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,050

You might post or tell us where you are... big city... farm town... and your general budget in terms of the size of your home and the cost if that is not too personal..... or some guage on the quality you want/expect.

Building sounds fun.... and it is... but it is alot of work.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC View Post
Maybe one question at a time......??

Ya know.... In general, a good place to start is probably the big box stores... walk around and see product with a notepad to get a feel for each product.

Then, I'd go on the internet and see what else you might find at a good priceing.

You can save alot, but it's work shopping.

Also, we don't know your local shopping options... whether you have numerous tile stores and appliance providers etc. Keep an eye out for real sales... and you know real sales if you've seen the product (similar product) at the Lowes and Home Depot big box stores.

Your contractor should give you an idea of timing.... make a list. You are probably saving alot by not having him/her haul product to you.
I apologize....so many questions are a bit overwhelming. I have too many taking up a lot of brain space at the moment. haha I am in southern Illinois and not far from St. Louis, so I feel like I have plenty of options...maybe too many.

I have started at the box stores and found products I actually really like. My problem is, I'm not sure what to compare them to and I don't quite know what a good "deal" is or if I should buy from there.

I purchased my cabinetry already and I have found countertops. We start demo on everything next week. I'm worried I'm running out of time.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC View Post
You might post or tell us where you are... big city... farm town... and your general budget in terms of the size of your home and the cost if that is not too personal..... or some guage on the quality you want/expect.

Building sounds fun.... and it is... but it is alot of work.
Located in southern Illinois, not far from St. Louis...20-30 min drive. My budget for materials in the kitchen and master bath is $18.5K. The home is 1860 sq ft. The kitchen is about 350 sq ft and the bathroom around 120 sq ft. We aren't going for high end, just good quality that doesn't break the bank.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:53 PM   #8
RRH

Rewards Points: 1,316

Ok, i will give this long one a try.

where do I start searching for materials? Start with the local box stores.

Where is a good place to buy plumbing fixtures? Box store and compare online Amazon can be good on some.

Faucets - stick with Delta, Moen or Pfister. Quality about the same anymore and easy to have free parts sent to you if ever needed with these brands.
Just save parts list and receipt.
Price within these brands have more to do with style than quality so don't need to spend more thinking it is better.

How do I know how much tile to price out? Sq.ft. of the room plus about 10% extra.

Where can I find reasonably priced tile? again box stores.

What is a good luxury vinyl product for a kitchen and bathroom?
Armstrong Vivero Luxury Flooring. But depends on budget. Box stores for sheet vinly flooring ( get the fiberglass backing ). Remnants at floor shops if small rooms.

Where is a good place to find pulls/knobs for kitchen cabinetry? try all three Ebay, Box stores & Amazon

Should I take the free 18 gauge sink that comes with my counter-top purchase? yes, that is a nice thick gauge. and gauge counts not brand here.

How do I price out glass for a shower surround? depends on the size shower. A lot of these are custom made and installed.

I have lots of questions. : try to limit to a few at a time. And use the answers with a little bit of info you goggle about pro's and con's of materials or goggle reviews on certain products.
MTN REMODEL LLC and 00naomi00 like this.
RRH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RRH For This Useful Post:
00naomi00 (01-10-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 01:41 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 16

You can contact professionals.
BryanWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
buying materials , contractor bid , help me please , materials