Mold/Mildew Odor - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2016, 08:52 PM   #1

Mold/Mildew odor

I'm guessing this is the right section. 2 months ago I bought a foreclosed rancher. It has a full basement. It sat empty for about 9 years according to my neighbors. It had mold I removed the affected areas and some extra. I treated the area with 12% bleach the strongest I could find then with a borox and vinager. I still have this mold mildew smell. I removed all carpets and started repainting but it still stinks. Any advice will be greatly appreciated thanks.
Silverstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2016, 09:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,788

Re: Mold/Mildew odor

Mold gets into the wood and cleaning the surface does not remove it.

One, you need to be sure the humidity level is low enough (below 50% RH) that you are not growing another batch somewhere. Basements are a particular problem because moisture vapor is always passing through the concrete. Pick up a couple of humidistats that also measure the temperature and take both readings in basement and various places in the house.

Two, where mold was present on any wood surface you will need to seal that area with a product designed for that purpose. Although bleach is often used it is not the best approach and when too strong it can damage the wood. Here is a lonk to one line of products and their information is good. I have never had an occasion to use them but highly rated by others. http://www.fosterproducts.com/

Is/was the basement finished?

Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2016, 11:30 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 748

-
http://concrobium.com

Start with these.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2016, 01:47 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies the basement was finished I removed the water damaged drywall and halve a dehumidifier running. After I treated the wood I painted it with kilz bath and kitchen primer. Is that a good option to seal the wood or is there a better option. The water damage came from 2 spots a leaky roof I fixed and the last owner stole the copper water main so part of the basement flooded. I have a humidity reader for my cigar humidor I'll take a few readings tomorrow and see what they come back as.
Silverstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:56 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 5,788

Very few basements are finished in a mold free manner and the smell you are experiencing may be from the rest of the walls in the basement even though they were not directly damaged by water. Having been left unoccupied for so long means there was most likely no ongoing effort to hold that humidity down.

How is the basement wall constructed, the interior finishing, drywall, vapor barrier, insulation, with studs against the foundation?

Some reading: https://buildingscience.com/document...ts?full_view=1

As for the Kills I don't believe it rises to the standard needed for your problem. But the rest of the walls down there may be the source of your odor.

Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 05:02 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,466

Moisture level readings are critical in your situation and should be monitored occasionally with accuracy being important. To be accurate take a dew point temperature readings.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement