Modifying A Ceramic Sink Pedestal... - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By F250
  • 1 Post By F250

Old 06-17-2019, 10:42 AM   #1
Still learning every day!

Rewards Points: 800

Modifying a Ceramic Sink Pedestal...

Getting ready to probably put the house on the market and relocate to a new job in another state (new company as well), so we have a few odds and ends projects to complete before listing the house. One of these projects was to replace the builder grade pedestal sink in the half bath on the main floor with something nicer and much more in keeping with the grade of house we have.

So, this weekend was the time for the install. While removing the old pedestal, a chunk of the tile upon which it was mounted broke out of the floor. No biggie, though, as that was fixed with a little glue and acrylic touch-up paint because most of it is covered by the new and slightly larger pedestal. The REAL problem -- the old pedestal base bottom was "open" and did not solidly cover the entire footprint of the base (open in the middle). That opening allowed the hot and cold supply lines to stay "inside" the base where they come up through the floor. The NEW base has a solid bottom flat with one small diameter mounting hole in the middle. The depth of the new sink, though deeper (front to back) than the old one, still required the new base to sit where the copper comes through the floor (3/4" ply sub, 1/2" backer board, and tile layers).

My starting point, at this point, was to NOT relocate the two water lines because I didn't want to fool with the copper. I ALSO didn't want to craft a 1-1/4" thick backer (spacer) board to fill the gap between the wall and the sink back.

SOLUTION: I got out my angle grinder with my old 4" diameter diamond grinding wheels, and ground out a curved recess in the base bottom so it could sit closer to the wall and allow the sink back to mount directly to the wall.

Pictures below show the process. The trick was to grind out the area in two steps and to use no force on the grinder -- just slowly let its own weight and speed do the job. Only took about 10 minutes, counting the time to locate the grinding wheels and mount the pedestal on the bench top. The final result is a little "chippy" around the edges. However, the pedestal now fits perfectly, and my chippy-edged custom-cut recess is inside the base where it will never be seen by the casual bathroom visitor (they have other things to think about while they are in there!).
Attached Thumbnails
Modifying a Ceramic Sink Pedestal...-sink-pedestal-modification.jpg  

Bark less, wag MORE, and Show Compassion to everyone you meet!

Last edited by F250; 06-17-2019 at 10:51 AM.
F250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2019, 11:00 AM   #2
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 1,844

Re: Modifying a Ceramic Sink Pedestal...

Nice job, that required some cajones to mess with a new sink.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2019, 08:35 AM   #3
Still learning every day!

Rewards Points: 800

Re: Modifying a Ceramic Sink Pedestal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onthetree View Post
Nice job, that required some cajones to mess with a new sink.
Believe me, I got the boss's permission before I started grinding!
de-nagorg likes this.

Bark less, wag MORE, and Show Compassion to everyone you meet!
F250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement