Modify Joist Ties - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2016, 12:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Modify joist ties

I am currently remodeling my kitchen and need to remove a support wall. It doesn't look like the wall supports much. What I started out with is a wet bar that was built in the kitchen, facing the living room. So the kitchen side was just the sheetrock portion of back and sides of wet bar. I removed the wet bar, and put in a counter a year ago. But because one corner was a support I had left the corner in and the double header and joist removed the sheet rock which placed a column in the front part of the counter...to be fixed later.

Now is later. What I have in the Attic is a header running from opposite side of kitchen to this support beam. This header bears no weight from roof as there are no roof supports. It's a double 2x6 header that is 8ft long with the joists butted up against it. The way the joists are mounted is with a 2x2 on the bottom of the header and a notch cut at the end of each joist. From the looks of it, the header is not load bearings, but more to tie the joists together. A 2x6 double is no where near adequate for much of any load over an 8 ft span.

The column though which is about 24" from the wall does support the roof. Roof supports are roughly 5ft apart. Except this span which was 8ft.

What I am wanting to do is remove this column and somehow extend that header 2ft to the actual wall. My options I am leaning towards is.

1. Add a real support header blind style up in the attic. Would basically be a 2x10 using 2x4 vertically to attach it to the joists. Having it span from wall to wall. Supporting both the joists and the one roof support. I would then actually remove the 2x4 beak that supports the 8 ft span and replace it with a 2x6. I don't like the idea of a single 2x4 supporting the roof with no vertical support for 8inches. Basically beef up what's present.

2. Option 2 would be to remove ceiling and create a temporary tie for joists. Remove old 2x6 double header and replace it with a 2x8 double header to the wall. Beef up the header attached to ceiling to a double 2x6 and increase the support span for it to 10ft and have supports and at wall. I like overkill.

3. Still thinking about what else.

All options I do plan on adding additional 2x4s to back of counter to add additional King studs...basically creating a column that protrudes from the wall 4-5" to support additional header.

My biggest question is what if any weight does that double 2x6 header support. All I can come up with is the weight of the joists pushing down since there are no roof supports and the joists resting on a 2x2 nailed to header doesn't seem very strong. I will add some pics in a bit.
pomaikai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2016, 12:28 PM   #2

Here is before

Here is after wet bar was removed.

It's the column on the left. The thick one on the right is gonna stay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2016, 12:40 PM   #3

For those that insist on bars, I added a dry bar to other wall of living room. Basically opening up master to living and utilizing long Hall for drybar and 3'x3.5' linen closet.

Now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2016, 10:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,036

I think pictures of the beams in the attic space would be more helpfull. I can not tell what is going on when everything is covered up. We need to see if the 2x6 is holding up the roof or just the ceiling.

option #2 would depend on whether the roof is being held up or just the ceiling. if its the roof 2x8 could be to small. but the fact that they only have 2x6 header tells me it may not be structural. Some times on non-bearing walls we put in double 2x6 headers on spans that could be 2x4 just cause its stronger even though code allows single 2x4.
Mingledtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement