Master Suite Addition Design - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2015, 12:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 18

Master Suite Addition Design

My wife and I are contemplating addition an addition to our house and I are looking for opinions/suggestions/comments regarding our idea.

Here's a little background. Our home was built in 1942 and is 1170 sqft, which sits on 7800sqft. It has 2 bedrooms and 1.5 bathrooms (a closet was converted to a half prior to our purchase). It also has an office and a single car garage. Here's an older photo of the front to give you an idea.

We've the type of couple who likes to do a lot of the work ourselves and take pride in our home. Our last big project was redoing our backyard.

The main entrance to our backyard is through a set of french doors in our dining room.

Now to the addition...

Please pardon the "MS Paint" rendition, but it was easiest to add on to our backyard design. The pink/purple section would be the addition. It would be aprox. 620 sqft of master bedroom, bathroom and walk in closet.

Here are my concerns, please let me know if they're valid. I think our home has a good flow to it for its size. The addition would be on the opposite side of the home compared to the other bedrooms. We will have to walk through the kitchen to access it as well. On one hand, I think it's a good idea as the guestrooms will have their privacy. On the other, will having to walk through the kitchen negatively affect the property value? Would it be considered a bad flow? Our kitchen would somewhat be centralized with the addition.

When we built our backyard, we had an addition in mind, so we would have french doors in the bedroom that would access the patio, to tie everything together.

We currently use our garage for storage, but if we were to park a car inside, you would have a choice of going down the hall to the bedroom or into the kitchen when entering from the garage door.

Again, all suggestions/comments welcome and thanks for reading my lengthy first post.
Captainjz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2015, 12:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,912

Before I spent much time planning or building I'd run the idea by zoning, heath dept, building dept. to see if it would even be allowed.
Property set backs, and sewer lines will be two concerns.
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2015, 12:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Before I spent much time planning or building I'd run the idea by zoning, heath dept, building dept. to see if it would even be allowed.
Property set backs, and sewer lines will be two concerns.
I appreciate the feedback, and that has all been done. Not an issue.
Captainjz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2015, 10:31 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 5,348

Ranch's are good for building up, as in a second floor. You don't lose yard space and the build is less complicated as long as the foundation can support the new load.
Move the other bedrooms to the second floor and build the master suit on the first floor.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:21 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,216

Ron6519, some good points. But I am curious why you say building a second floor is less complicated? Additions are certainly not my area of expertise but the thought of opening up large chunks of the house for a long period of time by removing the roof seems more problematic than kicking out the back where less of the original structure is impacted.
I come from a roofing background where, for 30 years, the last thing I wanted was water in a homeowners house while I was working on their roof .
Old 06-27-2015, 03:37 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 5,348

By less complicated I meant not dealing with digging foundations, digging up the yard, set back issues, variances due to increased building size vs., lot size.
As a retired remodeling contractor I never had an issue with opening a roof to build up a floor. You just need to plan.
Both plans have issues. Building up maintains yard space.
Just a suggested option.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
craig11152 (06-28-2015), kwikfishron (06-27-2015)
Old 06-30-2015, 10:53 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,598

You can frame supporting wall and the roof with the original roof in place. Then remove the roof from inside. First thought was second floor with the stairs in the planned hallway. But you may not want to tackle that kind of work. Half of second story addition on that house also may look odd, as well as your house looks good as one story.
I would put the closet and bath against the back wall and try to lose the long hallway. Walk in closet, unless it is also a dressing room, wastes a lot of space in the middle.
Or a his-closet as you walk in, main space, then bathroom. Her-closet would be on the bath wall side.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
@ron6519