Master Bedroom - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2017, 12:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 157

Master Bedroom

A friend of mine wants to remodel her master bedroom and bath so that her bathroom is bigger and she has a walk in closet off the bathroom. I've included a graph of her master bedrooms present layout. I've included an image of her beds present position. So that you can get an idea of why she wants to remodel her master bedroom. Her bathroom is much too small for a house of her size and she doesn't have a lot of closet space in her bedroom. She wants to take advantage of the sunroom / playroom that is behind her master bedroom. I've labeled all windows and doors and I do realize this is not blueprint material but each square represents approximately 1 foot. Anyone with a design background feel free to give some input on whats the best new layout??? She does need access from the sunroom area to the backyard (off sunroom door).

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
lionscourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2017, 04:42 AM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,666

Re: Master Bedroom

So the current bathroom is only 3' x 8'? That's smaller than a jail cell What are the proposed elements? Can you provide a drawing of what she wants? Oh, and is that closet part of the existing footprint? Is it on a second floor? Is it cantilevered?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2017, 09:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
So the current bathroom is only 3' x 8'? That's smaller than a jail cell What are the proposed elements? Can you provide a drawing of what she wants? Oh, and is that closet part of the existing footprint? Is it on a second floor? Is it cantilevered?
Yes the current bathroom is 3x8

She only wants a walk in closet and larger bathroom... It's on the first floor rear of house. At this point I'm only looking to get the layout rather than the specific details of bathroom though I plan on asking her soon if she wants a shower and bath,etc... Not sure about the cantilever aspect, I'll have to look at that when I go back. Oh, and I'm forgot to include a small closet between bathroom and office doorway. I will fix that and repost later.

It looks to me like the whole bathroom needs to be moved to the back room close off that wall (where bathroom is presently), move the bed to that bathroom wall then have door on wall where bed is now that leads into bathroom and walk in closet. This would open up her bedroom more and at least that's a likely start...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2017, 10:03 AM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,764

I think we need a look at a bigger part of the house plan if not the whole floor. It is hard to look out side the box if we don't know what the outside looks like.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:28 PM   #5

I've done a number of remodels with only the rooms square footage and layout. I've found that if you just take a graph and manipulate the square footage to maximum 'openness' then you're on the right track. Simply erase all the closets, bathrooms, and sunroom, and go from there. If this helps, the rooms is at the back of a single family home, with a semi-long hallway leading from the front/diagonal section of the house which is in a mostly upside down 'L' shape with the master and sunroom at a perpendicular to the end of the 'L'(lol...) . I'll post some of my own revisions soon but was always look for other designer opinions.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:00 AM   #6
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,666

I am curious as to where this house is located. How did they squeeze in a toilet, sink and tub/shower in a 3x8 area.

You can enlarge the bathroom as much as the bedroom will allow. You don't have but 18' or so to work with, so enlarging the bathroom will decrease the usable space in the bedroom, although a 12x12 bedroom is "adequate" for normal furniture. We don't know the plumbing layout of the room nor do we know what is available as far as drains and supply goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement