Manufactured Home Remodel Questions - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes

Old 09-26-2017, 11:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 78

Manufactured Home Remodel Questions

Found this forum on google and I've been searching and can't seem to find answers to a few questions. Since I'm covering a few different areas figured this area would be the best place to ask.

I picked up a 1977 Fleetwood 24x60 (1440 sq. ft.) Double Wide Manufactured Home for the cost of moving it.

It is due for a remodel, has the original wood paneling (with all the fun air gaps), etc.... It's also all electric which I do not intend to change at this time.

Knowing manufactured homes my first thought went to the utility bill and how to lower it, which is why I started searching.

I would like to add 2x2 Furring Strips to all the exterior wall framing and swap the insulation (most likely R-11) for R-19.

So first question, anything wrong with adding 2x2 strips to get the wall to 6" depth (2x4 framing) for R-19?

I'll be adding more questions later and I'll just keep this thread open.
lstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2017, 11:42 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 94

Re: Manufactured Home Remodel Questions

I know of a situation where all of the skin of a MH was removed and the insulation replaced. Obviously it was done piece at a time but it can be done. So I'd say as long as you remember that the envelope (outer skin) is bound to be fractionally larger there is no reason you can't do as you mentioned.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
ChuckTin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChuckTin For This Useful Post:
lstevens (09-26-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2017, 11:52 AM   #3

Here is what the inside of the home looks like at the moment. After doing the strips + insulation I intend to drywall to close up air gaps (no more wood paneling).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tw22QGmVkVjMMTUR2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2017, 12:31 PM   #4
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,362

What type of siding does it have? IMO it might make more sense to add stryofoam and furring strips to the exterior although with a MH what type of roof overhang you have can come into play. I'd be more concerned about heat loss thru the ceiling than the walls.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:35 PM   #5

It's been resided with vinyl siding and foam board under it. I intend to redo the ceiling wood panels with drywall as well, so I will get a look at that when I get there.

It is a '77 so it was built to some standards as mid '76 is when HUD stepped in for manufacturing requirements.

Residing it is on the list, but down the list a ways. I want to get the interior done.

My thoughts were since I'm pulling all the wood paneling off anyways to replace with Drywall it would be a good opportunity to switch the insulation.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:47 PM   #6
retired painter

Don't forget if you build out the interior you'll need to move your electrical boxes out.

Does it have a flat [crown] roof? I'm thinking it was a few yrs later when they went to the 3/12 pitch on MH roofs.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:51 PM   #7

It's a pitched roof:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Qn0KrArAWF8ACIHh1

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PkqinhpZ2K863FRb2

And yeah, was already planning on replacing all the outlets, switches, and possibly even running new wiring wherever I'm working on the walls.
mark sr likes this.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:49 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 4,094

Sounds like a good plan to me. Ideal would be to add to the exterior but you have good reason to work on the interior instead. How much you will notice, I don't know, but keep in mind this will decrease the number of square feet of living space.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:22 PM   #9

It does, but 2" shouldn't be that much.

My whole plan (which I can't even contemplate implementing until I am in it, and have drafted out the current layout so I can change it) is to take out some of the walls in the living area and open it up along with a full kitchen remodel (which it needs).

I also want to move the breaker box (which I know is another challenge).
Old 09-27-2017, 05:45 AM   #10
retired painter

As long as you are removing just walls in one half or the other it's no big deal unlike removing any part of the marriage wall where the 2 halves join together. When you gut the kitchen it would be a good idea to add framing to give you better points to attach the new cabinets. MH cabinets are generally cheap/lightweight.

IMO moving the breaker box and redoing the service where it enters the home would be a big job.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:46 PM   #11

I do realize moving the breaking boxes will be a head ache. I'm the one running the line from the meter base to the home so I know what it would take to reroute that line, and it is worse than the rest since it has to be buried 30". lol

But that is a thought I have for further down the road, not full decision made on that yet.

It is in the air though and will be in place tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Manufactured Home Remodel Questions-20170928_124505.jpg  
123pugsy likes this.
Old 09-29-2017, 04:35 AM   #12
retired painter

It's been awhile since I set up a MH but you don't have to go as deep with the service wire if you use conduit. If I remember correctly I only had to go down 18" if the wire was in conduit. Just have to figure out which is easier; digging deep or paying for conduit.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:08 AM   #13

I was originally (until after I posted this last night) going off what I was told by these "Electricians" who wanted $700+ to run just the wire and plug it in (I was already digging the trench).

I was reading the Idaho Mobile Home Installation guide making sure I fully understand what I'm doing and realized in a conduit it says only 18" for rigid pvc.

The only two things I'm unsure of are:

Is this the bottom or top of the PVC? I may just go 20"/24" to be safe.

And I'm unsure if the inspection statements apply to used homes moved or not. If they inspect all the electrical I may need to replace a bunch of outlets (besides light bulbs).

It's page 49 here.

https://dbs.idaho.gov/programs/manuf...td_rev0311.pdf
Old 09-29-2017, 11:25 AM   #14
retired painter

All I ever had them inspect was the new service - from the meter to the breaker box. As far as the trench goes, I don't remember if I went deeper than 18" or not although I don't recall any inspector ever taking out a tape and measuring it. This is all based on east tenn, other areas may differ. I did buy and move one in arkansas 40 yrs ago but I didn't pull any permits - probably weren't needed.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:53 PM   #15

Yeah, and this is where it gets confusing Mark. They list the requirements for "new" manufactured homes, but not the requirements for a move of an older manufactured home and what will be expected.

Things like what I'm dealing with now with the plumbing standards wondering if it will pass if I connect it the way I'm thinking.

In these two pictures the first one you'll see the pipe for the drainage is pointing towards the outside.

The sewer connection itself in the second picture is about 2' behind the water main there (you might be able to see the cut in the vapor barrier for it).

I was originally thinking of just cutting the pipe lose and putting a T on it and running it out the other side, but now I'm worried about the drain cleanout which I have no idea if this lot even has one. :-/
Attached Thumbnails
Manufactured Home Remodel Questions-20170930_160640.jpg   Manufactured Home Remodel Questions-20170930_160734.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement