Is This A Load Bearing Wall? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dreese

Old 03-03-2019, 03:35 PM   #1

Is this a load bearing wall?

I need to replace the bottom plate of the wall that is rotted but it appears the top of the studs are connected to a group of three beams that are a header? Here is a picture and one of the floor above. The three pieces run along the top of the stairs(red) in between those two walls then Those same three beams are nailed to double floor joists that rest on top of the concrete block walls (blue) on the left and right sides.
Attached Thumbnails
Is this a load bearing wall?-57b4d83d-dbc4-415f-8829-14c768efd96f_1551648888766.jpg   Is this a load bearing wall?-360ed7b2-6415-42fc-87ea-434192784483_1551648913513.jpeg  
Dreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2019, 04:35 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,480

Re: Is this a load bearing wall?

As long as both ends of that 3 ply look like it has lots of support, you are good to remove the bottom plate.
When you are done that job use that same picture and ask why that single above should have a hanger holding it up.
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2019, 06:54 PM   #3

Both end appear to be attached to double floor joists on each side by nails only which made me kind of nervous but then the joists they are attached to do rest on the block walls. I’m sorry but I don’t understand the second part of your reply? Do I need some sort or hanger?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2019, 08:34 PM   #4
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreese View Post
Both end appear to be attached to double floor joists on each side by nails only which made me kind of nervous but then the joists they are attached to do rest on the block walls. Iím sorry but I donít understand the second part of your reply? Do I need some sort or hanger?
Can you post a picture of one of the end where it attaches to the next beam.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:36 PM   #5
retired framer

Quote:
Both end appear to be attached to double floor joists on each side by nails only which made me kind of nervous but then the joists they are attached to do rest on the block walls. Iím sorry but I donít understand the second part of your reply? Do I need some sort or hanger?
Joists should not be just end nailed like we see in your photo.
Attached Images

Last edited by Nealtw; 03-03-2019 at 08:40 PM.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:37 PM   #6

The floor joists are notched with the tops resting on that triple header but you just can’t see from first picture. But you can see the header is held in by nails to the double floor joist. So would that be enough that I don’t have to worry about any load being on those studs from the first pic? The way they are nailed to the triple header(if that’s even correct terminology) makes me think the studs don’t carry weight because they would of had a top plate if they were baring any weight from the triple, correct?Appreciate your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Is this a load bearing wall?-1fb629e1-af7c-4d7a-a4b0-b6736a45ae83_1551677857278.jpg  
Old 03-04-2019, 12:04 AM   #7
retired framer

Quote:
The floor joists are notched with the tops resting on that triple header but you just canít see from first picture. But you can see the header is held in by nails to the double floor joist. So would that be enough that I donít have to worry about any load being on those studs from the first pic? The way they are nailed to the triple header(if thatís even correct terminology) makes me think the studs donít carry weight because they would of had a top plate if they were baring any weight from the triple, correct?Appreciate your help.
Hard to say what they were thinking, that end is wrong too. so when you change the bottom plate just change it in pieces like 24" chucks because that weight may be on those studs.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:25 AM   #8
retired framer

We would expect to the ends of the beam to be hung with big hangers or having 3 studs under the ends
Having the joists notched over the beam is fine but should also have hangers because the top of the notch is a crack line so you are really just using the strength of the top 2 or 3" of the joist.
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2019, 07:06 AM   #9

Okay so I will first add hangers to both ends of the beam and the floor joists connecting to that beam. Then replace the stud wall in 24” sections. We’re you also saying they should have a triple stud supportingthe end of each side of that header beam? I can just push studs under them tight by hammering them in. would I need to worry about the footing strength beneath it because it is on a concrete slab Or no because weight would disperse the load across the new bottom plate of the stud wall? Btw I’m going to use treated wood since this is in a basement. Again thanks so much for your help.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:01 AM   #10
retired framer

Quote:
Okay so I will first add hangers to both ends of the beam and the floor joists connecting to that beam. Then replace the stud wall in 24Ē sections. Weíre you also saying they should have a triple stud supportingthe end of each side of that header beam? I can just push studs under them tight by hammering them in. would I need to worry about the footing strength beneath it because it is on a concrete slab Or no because weight would disperse the load across the new bottom plate of the stud wall? Btw Iím going to use treated wood since this is in a basement. Again thanks so much for your help.
What ever you have there, it is working, if you replace the plate in sections so you maintain the support from the floor, I wouldn't destroy the house trying to get the big hanger in there. I would add them on the single joists because those cracks could appear in a hurry one day.
You would need an engineer to figure out what is going on, but you don't have a problem with any of the structure to warrant the expense of that.
Just treat the studs like they are load bearing.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:19 AM   #11

Yeah I just was looking at them and wouldn’t be able to fit those big hangers in. But thank you so much.
Nealtw likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement