Load Bearing? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Daniel Holzman
  • 1 Post By jlhaslip
  • 1 Post By Gary in WA

Old 11-08-2016, 09:35 PM   #1

Load bearing?

We didn't think this header/wall was load bearing since it's parallel to the floor and ceiling joists... but it sure does look load bearing? We are stumped. Can you guys give us some insight?
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Load bearing?-img_0302_1478662320301.jpg  
Katieo227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2016, 12:17 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 4,242

Re: Load bearing?

Yes. Sure looks like it to me.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2016, 07:06 AM   #3
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

A load bearing element is anything that carries more than its own weight. The best way to determine if a wall is load bearing is to look at what is above it to determine if the wall is carrying any load. Typical loads includes joists, beams, diagonal braces, or another wall. If you lack access above, you need to open the space above the wall to look. Do NOT rely on plans to determine if the wall is load bearing, houses are built differently from plans all the time, additions are made, changes occur after construction. If you are not comfortable making the load bearing determination, call in a professional engineer, architect, or contractor.
MikeFL likes this.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2016, 07:32 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,452

Floor is easier since if that beam studs are load bearing there would be more structure underneath. There is only one way to know, even if you seem to be sure about the joist directions, which is to open the ceiling and see what is resting on the beam. I think you'd want to open entirely from one end to the other and make sure both adjoining joists are actually parallel and resting independently on their own bearing points.
If that is a kitchen and a countertop I'm looking at (photo too shadowy), the beam may be just a space separator. I might have put something like it although kind of senseless retrospectively. Live and learn. Also looks like double 2x10 beam and the span may be too much for the double 2x10 to pass. That may be just the photo's perspective.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:34 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 708

I realize that I am late in my reply, (been out of town with no Internet connection), but let me reply with the following.

Trusses would span that space without the "drop beam" in the ceiling, so I would think there is a structural element to the framing of that wall.
Best to assume it is structural and act accordingly rather than the other way around.
As per above, have a look on top to see what weights are landing on the drop beam.
Windows on Wash likes this.
Old 11-19-2016, 05:52 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 114

You will have to ask somebody who knows what they are doing take a look at it, both above and below. A framing carpenter might help you out for less than what a structural engineer would cost.
RickMacKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 12:21 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katieo227 View Post
We didn't think this header/wall was load bearing since it's parallel to the floor and ceiling joists... but it sure does look load bearing? We are stumped. Can you guys give us some insight?
Thanks!
Is the room on either side of this beam an addition or are both sides original to the house?

I ran into a similar situation here with a beam parallel to the ceiling joists, with no second story above. Our dining room was added on to our kitchen at some point, so the wall between them (parallel with ceiling joists/ties) was at one time an exterior wall, so when the other room was added, they framed the doorway between them with a 2x10 beam, although maybe not necessary. You never know what you'll find with older houses.

I would at least consult with an experienced framing carpenter, as suggested.
Crazyjake8493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:57 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 526

So..... did you cut the ceiling hole? And give us another pic... In new construction, beams similar (size/placement) to yours are added by the framers rather than frame with short studs that would take twice as long. We added them over non bearing doorways/openings also, the GC figured it in the lumber take-off.

----Welcome to the forums!--------------------

Gary
Crazyjake8493 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement