Lighting Suggestions For 18 X 22 Room - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2015, 10:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 18

Lighting suggestions for 18 x 22 room

Beginning of a remodel on carport that was finished into a family/sunroom.

I'm doing a complete overhaul including ditching the drop ceiling and fluorescent lights and going with dry way.

Looking for lighting suggestions. I've read the suggested wattage formula for that room and it comes out to about 600 total.

My wife and I are kinda lost on lighting. There is a ceiling fan we'll be replacing and we can include lights on that. Floor lamps next to recliners for reading.

Anyone got any thought on recessed lighting or track lighting or...?

I've attached a sketch of what I have.
Attached Thumbnails
Lighting suggestions for 18 x 22 room-room.jpg  
mattgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2015, 10:45 AM   #2
Knows Enough to be Danger

Rewards Points: 1,203

i've always heard the rule of thumb is that lights should be 1 ft apart for every inch of can diameter. i.e. 4" cans should be on 4' centers. Obviously this depends on the ceiling height, and I imagine the assumption is 8' ceilings.

But that seemed too close for me. I put 4" cans in my theater room (about 10' x 18') and did 3 rows of 2 at 5' O.C. It's not too much light, but for a theater/playroom, it is fine.
NickTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2015, 10:46 AM   #3
Knows Enough to be Danger

Rewards Points: 1,203

Another thing, while you're wiring this, do different zones of lighting. Put the ones nearest the screen on a separate switch. Maybe you want some light in the room, but not washing out your picture. Especially important for projectors, but not unimportant for panels.
NickTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2015, 10:58 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,466

No recessed lights for me ever again no matter what new technology has been discovered. The attic doesn't need heat in winter but my house living area needs both light and heat during the winter months.

Did the wattage formula consider the color of the room and furnishings? If not the folks that wrote that formula don't have much of a clue.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 02:57 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,790

I have a room about the same size. Used two 52 inch fans with four bulbs on each. The lights on each fan are switched and dimmed separately. This allows you to light the room from either end or control the amount of light in each zone separately.

The fans are also controlled separately, giving you more control over the cooling. I am much happier with this approach than using one larger fan/light in the center of the room.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement